Chapter 15 - Rivals

You both ended up back at the rock Jungkook took you to this morning. He sat you back up on the rock. Apparently, there needed to be more explaining. You turned back towards him.

“What was that about? Who was he?” You asked. He didn’t look at you. 

“That was Hongjoong. He… is the captain of a pirate gang known as Ateez.”

Oh. Great. So pirates exist too. 

You propped your knees up and rested your elbow on your knee and leaned your head on your hand. The weight of everything you’ve been through today was a lot to take.

First of all, mermaids exist, one saved your from drowning, and the other was super flirty. Then you saved one from a net the was about to be captured by pirates, which also now exist, and then one attacked you and almost killed you.

You were also unconscious for a while, so some time has passed since then. You came here at about mid-morning and now it was late afternoon. The sun would be setting not too long from now.

Jungkook looked back over to you when you didn’t respond. He studied your tired face. “Are you ok?” He asked turning to face you.

You nodded.

“Yeah, just tired, that’s all. It’s been a long day.” You explained. He nodded in agreement. You both sat in silence for a little while, collecting your thoughts. 

After a few minutes, it was Jungkook who spoke up first. “What’s life on land like?” He asked. You looked at him confused.

“What do you mean?”

“It has to be different from our world here. What’s it like?” 

You paused to think for a moment. You weren’t really sure what to say. I mean, of course, it’s really different, but you weren’t really sure where to start. Plus, your mind went to mostly the bad things.

“It’s not as great as it seems.”

“How come?” 

“It’s...complicated. There’s a lot to it. Also speaking of land, I should probably get back now.” You looked up no noticing how low the sun was. The ocean had a golden glow as the sun reflected the waves.

“But, you’ll come back, right?” He stared into your eyes with hints of worry. 

“Seriously? Why would I just leave you? Of course I’ll come back. It might be a little later since I have class but I’ll come back.” His face brightened at your response. You smiled at him. 

Once again you wrapped your hands around his neck and held onto his back as he swam back to the same gap in the rock wall. Once there, one last thought crossed your mind.

“What about Hongjoong?” You asked hesitantly. 

“Just be watchful alright? His crew and him are very resourcefully. Pirates and mermaid have been rivals for years, it's better to try and not look for them since Hongjoong knows you're on our side. Get home safe.” And once again, he disappeared under the waves.