11 - Kenneth

Ian had dead-looking eyes as he sighed. What was with that xxx rated scene just now that turned scary with that 'crunch' sound at the end. He could tell at a glance that Nelly had no idea what the looks were about and Ian didn't feel like this was the right time or place to explain.

Recalling August's actions, Ian walked over to a glass ball, hesitated a bit, then placed his hand on it. Multiple lines of text formed in the glass in smoky letters.

<Registering for a mission>

<Reporting a completed mission>

<Reporting astral related issues>

<"I have no idea what to do">

<Registering new members>

Ha hah. The "I have no idea what to do" one was meant for him. As he pointed at it, a red number '2' appeared on the back of his hand.

<Go sit on the red sofa and keep the number on your hand visible, a staff member will come get you soon. >

Ian looked around. Red sofa? Oh - there was one by the wall. There was an old man sitting there with a number '1' on his hand. Ian went to sit there as well.

Nelly went ahead to sit on his lap... uh... she had done it so casually, Ian was caught off guard. Her expression was so open and clear he didn't have it in him to scold her, and that said, Ian always made sure to criticize in private, so the options he had was to physically get her off or--

A young woman sat next to him then, so the option of just picking Nelly up and placing her next to him was erased.

Ugh, whatever.

He did get some looks, especially from the old man and the young woman on both sides, but Ian did his best to have a poker face. Chilli had meanwhile settled on Ian's head, stopping her satellite duties for a while.

Soon a bunny girl in a blouse and business lady skirt and high heels invited the old man away, and just moments after another one called out to Ian, dressed the same way with an oak leaf brooch on her chest.

"Number 2, Please come with me," she said.

Ian looked up over the rim of his glasses to see blonde hair, bunny ears, mismatched eyes (blue and red), yep, an oracle. Through the glasses, she was a beautiful human blonde with blue eyes, though. Ian got Nelly up, then stood up himself. Chilli also got off his head, starting to float around like before.

The oracle took him to a cabinet about half the size of Grisham's, it also had some mysterious-looking trinkets in it and a book similar to the one Grisham had was on her table. There was also a black obsidian plate like the one in the library on her table placed near the spot where a guest might sit.

"Take a seat," she invited and went to sit over the table. Ian did so and this time he intercepted Nelly before she could sit on his lap, pointing her to sit on another chair.

Nelly didn't look happy about the interception, but she didn't complain, sitting in the other chair.

"My name is Elise Blumberg, you would be?"

"Ian Spenser," he said his own name and upon her pointing at the black slate, Ian placed his hand on it.

Elise opened the book and some text appeared on the page, she took only moments to skim through, then glanced over at Nelly.

"So, what troubles you?" she asked.

"Yesterday I formed a familiar contract, but since she's visible to normal eyes," Ian glanced over at Nelly. "I'm unsure what to do about her documents and the like."