52 - Snowflakes

They couldn't brew ambrosia the next day, because Kenneth went to the alchemist alliance with Knox, but their dessert fridge was running out, so Ian used the morning part of the day to fill it back up, of course, adding notes on some items that needed time to set-in or were in the process rather than being done.

They asked Lorelei, Penelope, and Hailey how they were doing at lunch and they said that the job was exactly what they expected. These three were joining in with the extra-slow eating game to develop appraisal, so while Kenneth wasn't around they were good to sit next to. Even if Nelly said Basilisk wouldn't go bad for years, it was a waste not to eat delicious food if he could make it so while he did have it, he kept using it as the main ingredient. The appraisal he did have said that frying should be short, so everything was rare and in bread he put it in as one would with salmon - raw. (Kenneth was around for making breakfast, he taught Ian how to make croissants and they had some freshly baked ones filled with basilisk slices, Kenneth had come up with an amazing recipe, they were all shaken.)

Ian always liked cooking, but-- he never knew he would like it to this extent when people were happily enjoying whatever he made both in collaboration with others and by himself and-- good ingredients were just fun!

Nelly figured how to make the meals beautiful and what drinks to add which made them even more fun and Chilli added a neat finishing touch that added a surprising, but very lovely change element in whatever they made or just made it even more pretty. And he had so many teachers around who kindly taught him recipes, shared their tips and tricks and-- to think he could make others stronger by growing stronger himself and making food and ambrosia. 

Life was full of amazing surprises!

About their guild class-mates then -

Lorelei was going around with a wind mage colleague handling matters around the upper districts of the town - astrals really didn't sort people by their income level when it came to causing trouble. She said they weren't even using artifacts for hiding their appearances, she was a daughter of a well-known family among those circles, they all knew she had joined the Police 'for fun' or whatever and were happy to be working with her if she popped in. She said they loved the idea of them rescuing endangered birds and other animals. (It wasn't just Brielle using that excuse.)

Penelope and Hailey were together on a team with another colleague, who did not look any different from a human, on more investigation-based detective tasks. What they were doing was something more like what Ian had expected from this department of Police, so it was interesting to hear about it.

Infiltration, gathering information, being inconspicuous. This department did actually handle complex serial murder cases of both normie and seeing-side origin, even if that didn't have much to do with Ian.

The girls said Kenneth had shown them all some pictures of crime scenes they would likely encounter and that turned off everyone except the three of them. Lorelei wasn't squeamish, but she did ask if it was possible to do the magic animal capturing work and patrols like Ian was doing and Kenneth said that she felt like a good fit for it, so sure, Penelope and Hailey lacked the ability, but Lorelei wasn't short there.

And the other two felt the work was important enough to get used to it when they do happen on those scenes. They liked the idea that Police did not really sort between normie and seeing-side cases in this - they said that they both had awakened sight due to something normie-seeming that turned out not to be.

It seemed like a pair of human males had kidnapped them when they came back a bit drunk from a party, but as they snapped awake things with slit pupils were gnawing on them but they were lucky to be rescued by Thalia Galord (August's younger sister) by accident.