37 - Big Bro

"Boy, I never thought Wittens could be so freaky," a black-haired youth ominously similar to Ian's biological father put his arm over the still sitting Ian's shoulder.

Who--

"That's the guy you kinda killed," Chilli filled in.

"So you forgot that," the guy sighed-- "That's one of the few details I remember. I'm Lorenz Rembrandt, platinum rank-- exorcist?" he said, not looking too sure.

"Ian Spenser, bronze rank-- Policeman?" Ian said not sure if that works as his finisher either.

"Lil bro, Police work falls under exorcists as well," Lorenz said.

Ian's eyes widened at the Lil' bro--

"Heeh, so you are surprised by that as well," Lorenz smiled. "No, no, there's no mistaking it. Ian, you are undoubtedly my half-sibling, you have the same mark in your eyes as me and you have a Rembrant family signature ring when you do that merging move."

Well-- he didn't doubt that and Lorenz was purposefully looking down at an angle where Ian could finally see what kind of mark he had - a small watermark-like layer over the pupil - like a three leaf clover. "Did I end up kind of killing you because you were shocked?"

"Oh yes, but not because you are my sibling kind of shock. I never thought you'd kiss me to flash-freeze my head," Lorenz said. "That was a beautifully effective move, If not for this zone I'd be dead, but I figure you'd be--"

"34 times dead before then," Grisham said walking up. "Make it 138 if you were human with no access to magic."

More than 99% losses, huh-- But it did feel surreal they had done in a platinum rank, even if it was by a shock move. Yet Ian had no memory of it, so it didn't even feel surreal, it felt like something that was hard to believe had happened. "I don't remember any of it." If his clothes weren't like this he wouldn't even have any proof.

"Grisham, how do you remember?" Lorenz asked.

"Secret," Grisham said. "But I noticed something that seems to work for others to protect them against Mandy's extreme hospitality - pretending to sleep, kissing others, or drinking something already."

"Not that it will help Ian," Kenneth said, having just walked up. "Every time his eyes met with either Tiamat or Mandy he got a jug, raised it in toast, and chugged it down with no assistance needed."

"You also remember?" Lorenz asked.

"Of course," Kenneth said. "Only dwarves and mythical beasts honestly drink everything poured into their cups. As soon as Ian told me this place is a dead zone, I mean, a new dryad's domain, I figured what would happen and prepared."

Ian mentally noted it down that these places could be called [new dryad's domains] and switched the words, because it was a far better description.

"Yes?" Lorenz peered at Kenneth.

"That's a Police secret," Kenneth said with a smile.

Lorenz peered at Ian.

"Brielle said I'd learn some secrets in a year," Ian said. "But if it is a secret I won't tell you."

"Ian, what is more important, family or work?" Lorenz asked.

"Cousins?" Kenneth checked.

"Brothers," Lorenz replied. "We share William as a father. Ian's mom kept him, mine did not."

Well if Lorenz said it so simply - "I only found out that he's my biological father two days ago," Ian said.

"And I found out Ian's my brother when we spared to kinda-death," Lorenz said.