XII.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬❝ without the dark we'd never see the stars

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
without the dark we'd
never see the stars.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
⚌⚌

IT WAS THE LIGHTS from the garden that he wasn't expecting to like the most. string lights hung from the walls of the hotel and over the grass, attached to the trees and giving off the idea that fairies seemed to live in the leaves.

"by far, this is the best garden in any hotel i've stayed in." taehyung said. he was staring into the champagne glass, it was now empty in his hand and maybe if he looked hard enough, it would fill up again on its own.

jungkook listened intently and just hummed occasionally to show he was still listening. "how many hotels have you lived in?" he finally asked his own questions rather then diverting the brunettes.

they walked across the grass passed some hedges and flowers, only to sit down on a bench by one of the trees with the lights in it. "i've lived in hotels my whole life, i lost track." taehyung said, lightly tracing the rim of the glass with the tip of his finger. "they're all different, but also exactly the same – big and clean and boring."

"i'm having fun." jungkook said, tilting his head back to drink the rest of what sat at the bottom of his glass.

taehyung giggled quietly and set his own glass on the grass. "we're not in the hotel though, so it's still boring to me." he said. the younger just watched him as he sighed and looked up at the big building he was just talking bad about, eyes dropping a bit and almost disappearing behind soft bangs.

he may have been sleepy, and a little tipsy, but taehyung could still feel the boys eyes on him, peering into him and unraveling every thought and dream hiding away behind those brown eyes. "stop staring." he finally pouted, looking over at jungkook to nudge him a bit with his elbow. the ravenette just chuckled quietly and glanced away.

wait i lied, keep looking. taehyung was glad the thought didn't accidentally slip out, but maybe his eyes gave it away as he frowned slightly, watching the ravenette stare down into his own empty glass.

"jungkook." he stated. waiting for a reaction and only getting a quiet hum in response. "can i ask you a question."

the boy glanced over again, eyebrows furrowed slightly and wondering what of the many things he may be asked, and of which could he actually answer. "of course." jungkook simply
said, some questions never needed answers.

he was silent for a second, neither of them speaking but somehow finding comfort in the simplicity of the moment — relaxing silence and lights hanging above them, just the two of them staring at each other.

suddenly he didn't want to ask, to ruin this moment and lose this side of jungkook that wasn't all cold and mysterious. but taehyung was way too curious, and the buzz in his system gave him that little confidence to even consider asking. "what did you do to go to prison?"

jungkook visibly seemed unphased, he knew the question was bound to arise at some point if he continued to follow this through. on the inside however, he couldn't help but tense, to go on edge and suddenly remember he was working and not just suppose to be sitting in a garden with a boy who looked so nice right now. jungkook sighed and looked away, breaking that stare too soon.

"i trusted someone." he finally answered. saying those words outline after all this time sent a sharp pain through his heart, that night so many months ago had been hidden underneath so many layers in his mind. jungkook wasn't ready to bring it all back to the surface just yet, the anger would be too much, he can't lose it right now.

"oh," taehyung said. it's not the answer he expected, but it somehow made sense to him, and maybe if he wasn't so tired then maybe he would have remembered what the boy said and then maybe he'd be more aware of what he was getting into. except, the brunette couldn't take his eyes away from the handsome boy next to him, their thighs touching and eyes locking once again.

it most definitely was a spiral, a downward fall into the abyss of those onyx orbs and dark aura surrounding the boy. it pulled taehyung in and wanted to keep him close, to stay near the ravenette and talk about random things and drive fast through tunnels at night, as if they would soar into the sky and no longer be tied down by their lives.

taehyung hated nearly everything he was becoming. the way he reluctantly followed orders to become what he hated and immerse his days in riches and phony personas. taehyung hated how he's constantly surrounded by people, but always feels alone. he never realized it until recently. when he finally went out and lived, however brief those moments had been.

but maybe they're meant to be brief. because jungkook looked away again, and he suddenly stood from the bench as a text buzzed on his phone. "i need to find my friend." he said, not looking up from the screen and instead turning his gaze to the fancy building.

"okay." taehyung frowned.

"i'll see you later?" jungkook noticed the drop in the others tone, finally turning his head to look at taehyung sitting there on the bench.

"okay." the boy repeated. everytime they said goodbye taehyung would just greet his usual life with a tight smile and feigned joy, to walk back into that hotel to follow a routine that only made him want to scream.

the raventte frowned a bit, but he had to go. so that's what he did, turning on his heels and ignoring the subtle nag to go back and find out why taehyung was suddenly all moody. a part of him wanted to be a genuinely nice person and help this sad soul from whatever crisis he has been enduring, living this life that most people would assume is only ever grand and spectacular. but jungkook had a job — he had to observe, collect intel, and work his way to the top all while remaining unseen and unsuspected.

it was hard to take this night and use it as a mold for his future plans, a night that he should remember as a good time talking to a nice boy in a garden with pretty lights. when he actually felt light and possibly a little happy around someone who so obviously felt a little better with his presence around. except, jungkook couldn't separate himself from the darkness that lurked in his chest, crawling inside his mind and always assuming things can be used as a ploy to further excel his own needs. he always thought what he's done for a living was simple schemes, there was never any weapons or violence involved because jungkook didn't want to turn himself and his friend into bad guys.

but that's exactly what he was doing, tonight, and tomorrow, and days to come. jungkook swallowed down that guilt and repeated his goal in his mind, trying to forget that sudden doubt that snuck its way into his thoughts. he pushed open the doors into the lobby, and reminded himself how taehyungs sadness and obvious discomfort with this hotel, could only be used as his advantage.

jungkook knew he was good at it. he knew he was good at observing and using people's weakness against them. but for the first time, he was starting to hate himself for using the pretty brunette in his little game.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
vote if you're excited for it