Part 1

Defeat. We lost, 29 - 9. One of our worst games of the season I would say. But losing also comes with the looks of victory from the other team you get to witness as the girls shake your hands. Some looked smug, some looked sympathetic, but mostly all of them looked sweaty and tired from the blazing heat of the sun that had been shining down on us the whole game. There was no way we would make it to the semi finals now, we had already been dropping up and down between second last and bottom place on the ladder throughout most of the season.
But Netball at my age was mostly the best players and would always become super competitive.

At least Bailey didn't care if I won or lost.

Well, I guess he was a dog, but that didn't mean his opinion didn't count to me.

He was clearly energetic today, bouncing around at the end of the lead, like the Samoyed dog he is. His tongue stuck out as he panted, quickly continuing his jog alongside me.

The afternoon breeze was kicking in as I walked, warm but gentle, and the sun was tucked away behind the clouds.

I felt my feet start to ache. We had walked all the way to the backstreets of the neighbourhood and around the block twice now. The soles of my all star converses were starting to feel heavy, like I was lifting a weight with my foot every step I was taking. I think it was a sign to head back home.

My AirPods blasted music into my ears and it felt like Bailey was dancing along with me as he bopped along.

My attention was on Bailey as he lolled his tongue out and made me burst into laughter. He was such a cutie.

Suddenly a throat being cleared scared the crap out of me.

I pulled the AirPods from my ears and twisted around quickly to face the person responsible for the noise.

"Shouldn't you be at school Isabelle?" The sarcastically serious face of Mr Collins came into view. He was one of the neighbours, and by the look of it was just arriving back. I noticed his shirt had a slight coffee stain.

I shook my head, "It's summer break Mr Collins, no school for a while." I said, putting a hand in front of my face to block out the sun that had now crept out from the clouds.

"Ah, I see. And how's Bailey?" Mr Collins asked, stepping up and giving my dog a gentle scratch beside his ear which he loved.

"Doing alright, aren't ya bud?" I look down at the fluffy dog and he gives a happy bark in response. Mr Collins laughs and steps back, "I better be on my way. Make sure to get home soon, but I'm assuming you'll want to watch the game."

"Wouldn't miss it." I say with a smile, continuing on my walk back home. I take a look behind me to see Mr Collins already back in his house, the grey plastered one with a wooden fence, security cameras and a shiny number plate saying No. 18.

Tonight the Roos played the Cats. Geelong had a good chance of winning, since they won the AFL grand final last year, but I was still hoping my team came out on top.

I pressed play on my music and tucked the buds back in my ears, letting my hair drape back over the sides to cover my ears.

Bailey and I got home soon after. I had to put in the security pin to get in the gate before I let Bailey off the leash to play in the garden. He seemed exhausted too from the long walk and went to rest on the grass with his toys.

I look down to my wrist as my watch buzzed with a message.

Dinners in the fridge, I'm busy working upstairs. Tell Liz to get some food too x

I read Mum's instructions quickly and noticed as I came in the house that my sister was already in the kitchen with Isla. Elizabeth gives me a smile and Isla claps her hands happily.