Part 4

I whipped my head around to the TV and froze. I barely registered my photo on the screen or Isla's excited squeal as she stood and danced around the room. I didn't notice as the next girls names were read, I only saw Prince Thomas moving around on the screen.
I felt someone moving me but didn't notice who until Elizabeth said something, "You alright Izzy?" My big sister asked, shaking my shoulder softly.

"Yeah, yeah, fine." I give her a firm nod and smile.

I get to meet the Prince, go to the palace and see the royals. That's a big deal.

My watch started blowing up with notifications, but what I wasn't ready for was my own mother. She burst into the room, yelling.

"Isabelle, I knew you could do it! This is wonderful." She rushed over and pulled me off the couch and into a rare and unexpectedly tight hug. She quickly let go and pulled out her tablet,
"Don't worry dear, one of the palace officials just rang and said that flights are all arranged for you, and an aid will be here within the next 24 hours to assist you with your leave. She will stay with you for your travel. You depart tomorrow for the airport."
Mum said all this cheerily and gave me a proud smile, she almost sounded happy for me to be leaving.

Elizabeth hugged me next, a warm, genuine hug. "Well done sis." She whispered into my hair as she gave me a delicate kiss on the top of my head.
Isla ran to me next, leaping into my arms. "Your gonna be the next princess! And we will all have to move to England!" She said, the end of her outburst sounding sad. "But England is a nice place. I think. We will all live in the palace." She piped up again, giving me her usual overly happy smile.

"We have to get you ready! We only have until tomorrow! Chop chop people!"

✿✿✿

Isla was mid way through doing my hair in a braid as the doorbell rang. A moment later I heard Elizabeth call, "Izzy, it's for you!"

I got up, rushing down the stairs and trying to undo my hair so I could look reasonably presentable. I nearly tripped on the last step but managed to stay upright luckily.
I was greeted by an unfamiliar face, that of a young women in her late twenties who was dressed in white blouse and finely pressed black suit jacket. A Royal emblem was printed on her suit so I assumed she was my aid. She had a clip board and file folder under one arm and seemed very tidy with her neatly pinned back blonde hair.

"Lady Isabelle Davis?" She asked, her tone smooth and comforting.

"Yes, that's me." I say, in a very awkward and shy way. She gestures for us to enter the kitchen area and I take a seat opposite her. Before she speaks the lady shuffles through her documents and finds a sheet of paper that she pulls out.

"Lady Isabelle, I am Camber Riles, but call me Camber. I am your aid and will escort you to the palace tomorrow. Since one of the others girls that was selected is from Melbourne you will be flying with her. I've come to inform you of a few rules and regulations before you travel to the palace." She said and looked up from her notes to make sure I was listening and I gave her an affirming nod. She gave me a brief, grateful smile before continuing.

"First of all, a few simple rules, no disobeying orders from the Royal family. The Prince has the overall decision over if you stay or leave. Your soul relationship is with the prince only. You will be required to be polite and attend manners skills lessons, but we don't tell you what to do or say, we can only advise you stay friendly and cooperative during the duration of your stay. You cannot physically harm anyone else in the palace or sabotage any of the other contestants." She said, reading like she had practised this same script over and over robotically.

After another look up at me to check I was listening she continued.

"If you last until the top 8 you are a member of the Nobility. This requires you to learn about the responsibilities of being Queen. And of course if you are chosen you will have to not just take on the role of Prince Thomas's wife but also the role of a queen in the public eye." Camber said in a kind, but still firm and official way.

Camber then pauses as she filters through several sheets of paper until she finds the one she's looking for. She pulls it out and turns it around, sliding it across the marble counter so it sits in front of me.

"This are a list of regulations you have to agree to, any resistance to do so will remove your position from the competition." She said and I looked down at the paper, neatly typed out on crisp white paper.

"Once you have read it through please sign at the bottom." Camber said pleasantly, but giving me an impatient sort of glance.

I focus my eyes down on the paper and read the rules in my head.

I, Isabelle Davis, confirm the following
I will respect the rules of the palace.
I will participate with fairness and respect.
I will be loyal to Prince Thomas and our relationship.

It was strange to think I would have a relationship with a guy I've never met before in the next week. But as not wanting to let this meeting go on any longer I kept scanning my eyes down the page.

I will stay for the minimum 2 weeks but agree to participate for the next year if necessary.

Year? That's a lot of time in my life. As if Camber knew I had read that she spoke.

"It would be unlikely for the competition to run for more than a few months, but know that if it is required you will be asked to stay for up to a year." Camber explained, sliding a pen over to me to sign the bottom.

I agree to be on TV, have my image promoted and allow camera crews to view my lifestyle in the palace.
I will participate in all mandatory activities and outings that are necessary.

After finishing my scan I simply signed away my agreement and didn't realise that means they now had me bound into this competition.
Camber quickly snatched up the paper and pen with a small smile, probably wanting to get it out of my reach before I changed my mind.
"That will be all for today, Lady Isabelle. I will come again tomorrow to escort you to your flight, thank you for your time." Camber stood and gave me a pat on the shoulder before promptly leaving the room. A moment later I heard the front door close and a car drive out of the driveway, gravel crunching beneath the tires.

And as soon as she had come, she was gone.

✿✿✿

That evening Isla, Elizabeth and I decided on having a movie night. It was our last chance to be together before I left for the palace early tomorrow morning. Mum had informed me since we would be flying Qantas it would take nearly 23 hours to get there.

Us sisters sat bundled up on the couch, watching the screen that played Isla's favourite movie, To All The Boys I've Loved Before. Elizabeth sat behind me, doing my hair in a Dutch braid. Isla lay next to me, her head resting in my lap. She was happily enjoying the bowl of popcorn that she had almost finished within the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Elizabeth kept mostly silently, happily content to do my hair while laughing at the movie once or twice. My older sister was always the best at doing hair styling out of the three of us. Elizabeth was careful and precise with each pull and twist of a strand, placing every one neatly into the pattern of hair.

Before the movie I had made a batch of cookies for my sisters and I. Isla insisted since it was my last night that I should bake my well known triple chocolate malt cookies. Over half of the cookies had already been eaten since they were baked and I made sure I could take a few with me for the trip.

I loved cooking, it was a wonderful pastime and kind of soothing. I'd like to think I was pretty good at it, yet I don't know if my family just says it's good because they are related to me.

But I'm sure it's better to keep a few tricks up your sleeve before travelling to the palace.