Part 41

The arrows slotted into the bag over my shoulder with a thud and I began the long trek back to the palace. As long as I followed the path I wouldn't get lost.

Why had I let Juniper run off like that? Now I was stuck walking all the way back.

After walking for only five minutes my legs were sore. These boots were meant for riding not walking. I pushed my palm against the closest tree, leaning my body weight against the truck and exhaling loudly as I took a moment to compose myself.
I closed my eyes and listened to the leaves swaying in the breeze, the soft sounds calmly and relaxing me.

The sound of pounding hooves against the ground had me pricking my ears up. The sound was getting louder and I could hear a horse racing towards me, but I couldn't see it.

The horse let out a neigh and I sighed with relief, it was only Juniper.

Juniper came galloping back down the path towards me, but with another rider, a man in a guards uniform. I couldn't make out the person straight away, but they were riding with confidence and they came to me in a matter of moments.

Then I froze.

It wasn't any Officer, it was the dark haired, dark eyed and tall guard, Officer Helton.

He looked just as surprised and uncomfortable as me as he reached me and got off Juniper's back.

"Excuse me miss, your horse came galloping out of the woods and I happened to be on duty. I came to return the horse to you." Officer Helton said briefly, clearly his throat before he did so.

I nod, "Thank you." I say meekly and take the reigns from him, patting along Junipers neck.

I stroke Junipers mane as I put the edge of my boot in the stirrup and pull myself up and over into the saddle.
Then I look down to the guard. I couldn't leave him here, could I?

"Get back on. I'll take us back." I say, nodding my head behind me for him to get on the horse.

Officer Helton steps back and shakes his head firmly, "I can't." His brown eyes leave mine.

"You can. I'm not leaving you." I say and motion to the spot behind me on Juniper's back.

"Prince Thomas doesn't want me coming near you." He states firmly, avoiding my gaze.

Thomas was being annoying. What was it to him that some guard saw me in my underwear? Look at what he was doing. It wasn't like I was spending all my time between my 11 or so boyfriends.

I roll my eyes, of course Thomas would do this. "The prince wouldn't want me leaving one of his guards in the woods would he? Now get on." I take my bow and arrow bag and move them out of the way so the guard has room to get on.

Hesitantly the Officer steps up to the horse and I take my foot from my stirrup to give him something to pull up on. He effortlessly manages to get on the horses back behind me, sitting close so not to fall off.

"I understand this may have put you in an awkward position but it was my fault. And we are going to need to get past it." I say and turn to take his hand, putting it on my shoulder so he can remain stable, he gives me a cautious look though.

"The prince wouldn't be happy about this though, he could take my job." Helton says behind me as I start Juniper at a slow trot down the trail.

I glance back at him briefly, "Don't worry, you've done nothing but do your duty correctly, I will make sure you keep your job." I nod and turn back to the trail, leading Juniper down the path more quickly now.

"Thank you miss." Officer Helton thanks me quietly.

I still feel guilty about the whole situation and turn at the slight change in direction on the path.