Chapter 40: Return

"Chen'er."

A soft sound whispered into her ear. Her name lovingly spoken, each syllable so gentle as if cherishing her name.

"Chen'er."

A voice familiar to her. Her heart twanged quickly like an anxious bird in flight hearing his voice.

"Chen'er."

A hand held her so closely and gently to his furiously beating chest.

Su Chen's eyes fluttered open.

***

The maids in the room could not help but to glance once in a while at the woman who laid on the bed unmoving.

The master had warned them to stay silent about her presence and to serve her attentively.

One presumptuous maid had already been sent to meet the King of Hell for voicing her thoughts, trying to seduce whom she should not have.

It was best to keep their mouths shut and their eyes staring down at the floor until they were called.

But the maids had seen and formulated their own thoughts.

The woman was pretty. Delicately pretty. An elegant nature in her movements. Soft ample black hair framing her face. Her features were soft, yet sharp at the same time. On her forehead was a valiant air, of somebody who seemed to have done and seen more than a regular lady of a boudoir.

The maids could not help but form their own judgement of this lady.

As one of the maids had expressed: Madam Su Li was obviously more beautiful. Why would Master still bring another woman back?

Ever since he woke up from a sudden fainting spell, his Majesty had changed as if he had become a new person. Previously the Residence had been chaotic, a mess from mismanagement. Now it was silent and oppressive, a heavy aura of death hanged on the entire Residence.

No one dared breath easily.

None of the Mistresses remain but the beautiful Madam.

Yet even the Madam was no longer favoured despite infamously winning the position she was now in. A position that did not belong to her.

She was left to stew in her own bitterness, venting her emotions on the maids in her Peony Courtyard.

Everyone felt bizarre and discomfited that their virile master would suddenly swore off women.

Hence, everyone was curious to hear that a woman had been brought into the Residence, closely guarded at the Prince's own Courtyard.

It has been a few days since the lady had awoken. But she had barely talked or done much.

She had laid awake, looking above the ceiling of the bed. Not even willing to get up and eat.

The maids wondered to themselves, keeping the many questions they had in their hearts.

They wondered.

What did Wangye say to her when she woke up three days ago?