Chapter 42: Revelation

"Madam... Please stop..."

A weak cry, so soft that it was barely heard.

Just a weak soft cry, yet it frightened the hall maids to the point of trembling.

The last cry. And now...

Silence.

The ethereal woman swept her wispy hair away, her long fluttering eyelashes were captivating. Her breath was heavy, as if she had just completed a labourious task. Her cherry lips curled in satisfaction of a job well done.

Yet it did not make the gruesome scene before the maids any better.

They were still frightened by what had just happened.

In fact, they had always been frightened ever since Wangye awoke from his coma.

Now, looking at the fresh corpse before them of another maid, many wondered when would it be their turn.

"So, once again..."

The angelic woman gently smiled to the trembling maid kowtowing at her feet below.

"What did Wangye do for the slut in the room?"

The maid trembled further, her face so pale and white, contrasting greatly to the beads of blood that pooled from the cuts she made when she dug her fingernails into her palm to keep her from stuttering like her unfortunate sister.

"Madam... Wangye had... Had prepared several palace dresses for the miss in the room."

A teacup shattered at the side of the maid.

"Again, Luan. I can't seem to hear you."

Luan bit her lip and repeated her words again.

The other maids wanted to bolt. They had seen enough of such scenes.

Some of the older maids felt bile in their throats at the memory of how they had previously supported Su Li into power.

What fairy? What angel?

Look at Madam's real face now. Not even a demon was scarier than her current expression.

"Luan, how can it be? To lie like that? You have been with me since I entered the Residence. Now you dare to lie to the Crown Princess?"

Luan kowtowed fiercely again. Her head bleeding from the previous wounds.

"Mis- I mean Madam! You know that this servant would not dare to lie to you!"

"Then WHY!!!" Su Li screamed.

She calmed herself down and gently sat at the table again. After several moments, she finally arranged her gentle smile again and drank from another cup presented by an alert maid.

"Why would Wangye present palace dresses to a no-name person and not to his Crown Princess?"

Yes. Why would Sun Rui do that? What was wrong with him??

Why did he stop loving her?

Why did he stop wanting to see her?

She had done all she could for him.

So why?

Why was he not moved anymore???

Su Li could not help but let her tears fall to the table again.

Again and again.

She had not meant to love him.

But she does.

They are after all, regardless of how she schemed their meetings, childhood lovers. That itself was real.

So now...

Her eyes hardened as she looked cruelly at Luan, her dowry maid below, who did not know that her master was aware that Sun Rui had favoured her a few times.

There were things to do.

She needed to set things right again.

At the thought, her eyes grew gentler as her right hand that was on her slightly protruding belly moved in a circular motion.

That's right. She needed to set things right.

At least, for her son.