Chapter 44: Ready to go?

When Su Chen felt slightly better from her feverish state on the fifth day, she felt that it was pointless to stay on.

This was not where she should be.

Even if what Sun Rui had told her was true, he and her... She doesn't think they were meant to be. Not in this lifetime.

What he had done to her had passed and she was not willing to go back to him.

Her feelings for him then and now was markedly different and even if it were not the case, at the thought of seeing her sister here... She doesn't think she could stop herself from puking in disgust.

No need for flattery and fakery, Su Chen was well and done with noble families.

***

When Sun Rui got the news from his lackeys that Su Chen had packed her bags and was ready to leave, he rushed to her courtyard.

"Ah Chen, why? What are you doing?"

The dignified Ninth Prince shamelessly grabbed her packed bags away.

"Ah Chen. I've told you all there is to us. It was just a slight misunderstanding."

Inmediately, Sun Rui held Su Chen's hand in both of his as he looked at her with pained eyes.

"I-I know that it is hard for you to forgive me now. But Ah Chen, trust me. I truly do love you. Look, here are some boxes of jewelry from the finest srores in Da Li! You loved to look pretty! I've personally chosen ones that suit you!"

Sun Rui waved his hands at chests of previous jewels. The chests threatened to blind the maids while the wonderful craftsmanship of even one of the hairpins was enough for a family to live happily for their entire lives.

Yet all he was faced with was Su Chen's indifferent eyes. With a flick of her wrists, she set herself free from his hot grasp that painfully circled around her hands.

"Rui Wang. Please don't jest. This servant is not worthy of your attention..."

As she saw his face crumpling up in pain, she hesitated and could not help but sigh. After all, this man in a way could not really be faulted. All he did was to love someone and refused to be with another woman. It was rather touching in a way, if you ignore the clandestine meetings and obvious disrespect to the official wife.

Here, she harden her heart. No point in presenting false hopes. She was to make it clear to him.

"Sun Rui, we've never actually... Talked properly before."

At her words, Sun Rui perked up. Her opening up like this, can he... Be a bit hopeful?

"So let me be clear with you. I do not love you. And I don't intend to be with you nor marry you once again. We are not meant to be. Not in this lifetime."

At her words, it felt like a bomb exploded in his head. In a crazed impulse, he grabbed her hands again like holding onto a lifeboat.

"Ah Chen. I know I was wrong. Didn't I apologise? Although it would take a while, but this will all be behind us."

He held her slender hands to his face.

"Please Ah Chen. Trust me. This is not how it should be. We can be happy together. I will definitely make you my Empress."

Soft hazel eyes stared limpidly at her as he held her warm palm onto his face.

"Don't leave me."

Yet at his words, Su Chen felt her heart turn cold.

"Wangye," she scoffed. "Please do not say such words wantonly. I do not dare to bear any accusations that I desire any position."

"I know you... You are angry and bitter. It is my fault. I was blinded by that fox. I did not realise her schemes. But I am clear now. Su Chen, forgive me hmm?"

Su Chen stared at him impassively. Her cold eyes brought fear to Sun Rui. He could feel her slipping away from his grasp.

"Wangye. I am not a fool. Even though I had barely walked around the Residence, I am clear that the Residence's Madam and Crown Princess is still here."

Su Li is still here.

At this, Sun Rui felt a prick of guilt. He grasped her hands determinedly, his eyes were filled with resolution.

"Ah Chen. You... Can you trust me on this? Wait till I ascend the throne. I promise you that only you can be by my side."

Sun Rui held her hands down to his side as he stared at her, conveying his sincere love for her.

"It is you I care for. Just wait two months... No. One month. When I ascend the throne, I will set things right. You are the one rightfully by my side."

"Hah! And my meimei will be the noble consort of course."

Sun Rui frowned. Troublesome fox again.

"Ah Chen. Do you think I would want such a scheming woman near me when I have you?"

Su Chen looked at the handsome man before her. She clearly recognised his visage. After all, at one point she had dearly hoped he would look at her like how he looked at her mei mei. Like how he looked at her now.

Yet, all she felt was nothing. Even now, she felt it funny that he was spouting words of love to her yet staying married to another. All for the sake of the throne. Really. Power does corrupt all.

"What is Madam saying? This Young Master is infatuated with you and am willing to quit my role as Sect Master to be a part of your harem of beautiful boys."

Suddenly, Su Chen recalled the pervert's words and could not help but blush at the memory.

Ah but, that pervert was babbling nonsense. She really should not think too much about it.

When a delicate blush appeared on Su Chen's face, Sun Rui felt joy.

"Ah Chen, you forgive me? Just wait for me. I promise that soon, it will be back to how it should be."

Yes. That was what he had worked so hard for this past few months. To set things back to how it should be.

Yet, Su Chen seemed to look at him incredulously and with... Guilt?

Why guilt?

As a possible thought appeared in his head and before he could react to it, Steward Hung's voice suddenly rang out.

"W-wangye."

Annoyed at being disturbed, Sun Rui spoke harshly.

"What is it? Steward Hung, if it is not urgent then do not disturb us!"

Steward Hung seemed to be frightened by this but he was insistent.

"W-wangye, this servant came to announce that.. That the Second Prince is here to see Wangye."

"What?"

Obviously surprised by the sudden appearance, Sun Rui could not help feeling confused.

The Second Prince had never appeared before in his previous life. He stayed away from politics and lived elusively. In fact, he would have forgotten this brother of his if he had not appeared today. But as to why his brother would appear all of a sudden, he was at a loss.

He gave a side glance to Su Chen who was looking down and felt an ominous feeling in his heart.

"W-wangye, Second Wangye is waiting at the main hall."

And as if hesitating, Steward Hung seemed to hem and haw a little.

"What is it? Did he say what he wants?"

Steward Hung's hesistant voice from outside replied, seemingly at a loss.

"W-wangye, Second Prince said that he..."

"What is it! Speak clearly!"

His eyes were still trained onto Su Chen, observing her every minute action.

"He says he is here to pick up his wife!"