Cover-Upper

Aria's POV:
I cannot believe the nerve of this prick. I thought I was finally done with the Montgomery family. I thought I was done with all of it. The secrets that family holds could get me killed or worse. It's almost like they're trying to kill me. Derek and I drive in silence. Complete and utter silence. I can't help but silently pray for his death, or at the very least, a car crash.

The entire Montgomery family is a family of fucking liars. That's all they are. They're good for nothing else in this world. If someone needs something covered up, they turn to Derek and his stupid fucking family. It's ridiculous.

Although, I wish that my family had that type of loyalty. The Montgomerys are known for their loyalty to others, but especially their family. My family's the opposite. My parents backstabbed each other constantly through my childhood, my mother always taking my father's kindness for granted. She'd cut through his heart with every hateful word she'd spew. I always knew they'd divorce one day. My father and mother split custody, but I chose to live with my dad at the ripe age of fifteen.

My life was smooth from there. I inherited my own mansion and I make money as an influencer for women and children around the globe. Everything was perfect, until one day in small, family run, quiet bookshop.

I met Ryder Montgomery in that store.

If I could relive one day, it would be that day.

I wish I never met that wreched, wicked man.

    As Derek and I come up on familiar roads, my stomach starts rumbling. I'm so hungry that I could eat an entire buffet for three families. Derek's eyes flash over to me and he pulls off of the highway into the large street full of restaurants.

"Pick a place," Derek says quietly, his bright green eyes still focused on the road.

I remain silent.

"Please, Aria. I know you're hungry and I know you're upset. Please just let me buy you a meal," Derek fills the silent void, still avoiding my eyes. I look down at the ground before averting my gaze back to the restaurants.

"That one," I reply, my finger pointing to the small fast-food restaurant on the street corner. Derek's eyes flicker to the place and he nods.

"Thank you," Derek states simply, turning into the parking lot. I just nod silently. I don't want to talk. I don't want to listen. I just want out of this car. I can't even say I'm scared, I'm just annoyed. I've delt with the Montgomerys before. Ryder has also told me stories about his family and some of the things they've done. I know what I'm getting myself into. If I survived once, I'll do it again.

Derek swings through the drive-thru and parks the car before taking our food out of the bag. I needily snatch my food from him, consumed by hunger. I earn a chuckle from Derek as he shakes his head.

"What?" I snap. Derek finally looks at me, before sighing. He runs a hand through his darker-blonde, wavy hair before unwrapping his cheese burger. "What, Derek?" I repeat, looking for an answer. I don't want to play games.

"Nothing," Derek replies, his eyes wandering out the window. I roll my eyes and devour my chicken wrap. I've been starving for hours, but Rowan's been helping me maintain a figure. It's not the end of the world if I'm hungry for a few hours.

Derek finishes his burger but doesn't start the car. "Aria, can you call someone and tell them youre with me?" Derek lies back lazily, his mind playing a movie behind his eyes. I've never seen a simple pair of green eyes hold so much lore and history.

I scoff and shake my head. "Fuck no, not until you tell me what your problem is."

"There's so much I want to tell you, really! But now isn't the time."

"Okay? And I can piss on a stick and be preganant! It's never the right time!" I retort. That makes more sense in my head, but I can't take it back down. Derek looks at me, shocked.

"Wait, do you suspect you're pregnant?!" Derek exclaims. Moron.

"No! I'm still a virgin..." I reply, the last part being quiet as a mouse.

"What?" Derek asks.

"Nothing, just tell me," I demand, my tone not matching my requests. Derek seems to get fed up and instead of continuing to negociate, he starts speeding down the fucking highway like a mad man.

"Derek, slow the fuck down!" I scream. Derek laughs at my response as we reach dead roads. It's so silent here you could hear a pin drop. These roads lead to the mansion.

Derek and I arrive and walk inside of his grand mansion. It's larger than mine, yes, but mine has more car garages. Derek walks inside with me to be met by his father, Ian. I remember Ian vaugely, always a kind soul to me. His smile always seemed as genuine as it does now. His taller frame leans against the railing to the second floor as his green eyes go wide with excitement.

"Welcome! Welcome! How have you been, Aria?" Ian asks, coming over to me for a hug. I return the hug and smile. Ian has always been so warm and welcoming.

"Alright, yourself?" I reply, a bright smile spread across my face. Ian nods and looks down.

"Well, it's been going, I guess. We've had a lot of difficulties with masking deliveries lately, but we're the cover-uppers of the century," Ian replies. Derek rolls his eyes at the comment.

"Not a word," He says under his breath.

"Hush. Cover-upper will make it to the dictionary if I have to cut and arm and a leg off for it," Ian says. I laugh at what he says before coming to my senses. I'm here for a reason. This isn't random.

"So, not to sound rude, Ian, but why am I here?" I ask. Ian and Derek exchange glances before both of them look at me.

"You're here for a week. Your mother has some busniess with your father and would like you to stay here for your protection," Ian explains. I would like to trust this, but I just don't. I don't trust it at all. But regardless of my gut, I smile and nod.

"I understand."

I don't understand. I know you're all liars; just a bunch of cover-uppers.