Marriage is a Complicated Forced

Derek's POV:

     I stand there holding her. She doesn't understand fully, but I;m going to let her win. It's the least I can do at the moment. She puts all of her weight into me. I can let her go! She doesn't feel the same, and I may not accept it right now, but I can. I can accept it.

I help Aria back to her bed. I'm letting her go. I can't be there all the time. I'll protect her when needed, but I can't get attached. Now I have to go make painful arrangements that will get Aria killed.

I step out of the room while she turns to TV on. I feel bad, but I have to do what I said I'd do. I have to make her work

   I walk to my office where Scarlett sits on my desk vaping. She's talking and catching up with my father. My father really liked her; until she cheated. I forgave her because she was really drunk and upset because we had fought before she went drinking. But just because I forgave her, doesn't mean anyone else did.

I walk inside and Scarlett smiles. "Derek! You didn't tell me you were getting married in a week! I'm so happy for you!" She exclaims hugging me. My face goes pale.

"Papa? What is she talking about?" 

"Mason signed the contract, you're getting married to her!" My father exclaims happily. 

"No, I'm ripping up the contract."

"Can he even do that?" Scarlett asks.

"No... I'm afraid not. Mason calls the shots. I was in contact with him for a bit after Aria was shot. I asked him about the contract, and he did... he signed."

"Papa! I can't fucking marry her! I promised to tear up the contract! I can't be the one reponsible for her dying! I can't be her husband!" I exclaim. I grab one of my coffee mugs and pace quickly. Then throw it as hard as I can at the wall. Glass shards fly everywhere. Scarletts heels clank as she steps in front of me.

    "Derek, look at me." She says grabbing my head. She makes sure I'm looking her in the eyes. "You can do this. I promise."

"A word, Scarlett." I say. I take her hand and lead her away form the office.

"She denied our connection." I explain.

"No!" Scarlett gasps.

"Yes. I can't be the person to force her into marriage."

"Derek, her father is making her, not you! Maybe she'll warm up over time."

"What if she doesn't though?"

"Derek, don't you ever wonder how we lost connection?"

"No because I know how we lost connection. My father wouldn't let me talk to you." I say leaning on the wall.

"Derek, that's not the real reason." Scarlett says leaning next to me.

"What?" I ask in shock.

"My father, he forced me to marry someone. Then he confessed that he wanted to bargain with your family, but he never got around to it. right after getting married, I fell for him like he fell for me, but after a year of marriage, he died. Someone sniped him." Scarlett explains looking down.

"I'm sorry, I had no clue." I take her hand and give it a squeeze when I realize she still has the ring on... I thought it was just a cheap ring, but it's real diamond.

"No, don't apologize, you're fine! My point is, I fell for him too. Maybe you need to give her time, Derek. You never know, maybe this marriage might draw her to you."

"Maybe... Thanks Scarlett."

"Derek, even after we split, I considered you family. I'm sorry I didn't reach out sooner."

"I should've reached out too." I wrap my arms around her. She was my best friend for so long. I feel horrible for not contacting her sooner.

    "Alright, I'll do it..." I sigh walking back into my office. My dad stares at me wide-eyed. 

"Derek, someone has to tell her she has to get married in a week..." My father explains.

"Hell no! I can't be the one to tell her!" 

"Derek, someone has to."

"I know, but it's sure as hell not going to be me!"

"Look, it'll be hard, but-."

"Wait a minute, what if I tell her." Scarlett chimes in.

I give her a puzzled look. "Okay, hear me out, Ian, you get Aria and Derek together in one place, right? You tell them together and Derek acts surprised."

"We're not in middle school." I laugh. My father looks at me with raised eyebrows. He can't be serious...

"I mean, it's not a bad idea..." My father speaks.

"You can't be serious? She can read me like a book! Hell she could read Scarlett like a book and they've never even met! She's like a fucking mind or face reader!"

"Oh my." Scarlett sighs pushing her hair out of her face. She leans against the wall and closes my office door.

    "Derek, it's really not a bad idea." Scarlett explains.

"It's worth a shot." My father says sitting back in my chair. He's not wrong exactly. I have nothing left to lose, right?...

"Fine, but just don't come off too harsh." I say. My father and Scarlett nod in agreement. I exit my office and walk down the hall to my room. It's getting decently late. I can't remember the last time I slept. When I open the door, Aria's sitting on my bed.

"I couldn't sleep..." She explains.

"It's okay. Do you want me to stay?" I ask.

"Where are you holding Ryder?"

"He's under the house on close watch and holding."

"And Rowan?"

"We kept her locked in a room in the basement. I'm waiting on your further instruction."

"Okay..." She says. She assures me over to the bed. She gives me a little hug and whispers in my ear, "Don't go."

I nod. "I'm going to shower first and then I'll be in okay?"

She nods in return. I walk to the bathroom and take a quick shower. I hate being this close to her and her not loving me! It's driving me crazy!

   Minutes later I step out of the shower. I get my shorts on and crawl into bed next to Aria. She's not asleep yet. I can tell, her breathing isn't steady, it's actually heavy. I roll over to be facing her back.

"Are you okay?" I ask her. She rolls over so that we're face to face.

"I'm just uneasy. The last time I slept, well... you saw. I don't want to wake you up, or worry you." Aria explains. Biggest lie ever coming from her. She doesn't want to feel how she felt all those years ago.

"Aria, you're lying, I can tell. You just don't want to feel how you felt around him. You don't want to feel that. I can see that and it's understandable. I don't mind if I have to do it all night." 

I'm actually so tiered to the point where deep down I want to kick her out of my room. But when Scarlett said she might just need time, I know I have to be patient.

Aria sighs and nods. "Hold my hand?" She takes my hand and intertwines our fingers. She slowly drifts off and her grip loosens. I keep a tight grip so that she knows I'm still here. Looks like I was right, pressure helps...