My Brother in Christ

Derek's POV:

        I make my way to the basement where there's a bar, pool table, and a ping-pong table among many other recreational games. This is where I typically find Ryder. Where there's gambling and alcohol, that man is there.

My foot hits the last step and I take a deep breath before getting ready to confront Ryder with an audience.  I don't want to lose my cool, especially in front of our friends and allies that are playing poker with him right now.

"Ryder, can we talk for a sec?" I pull Ryder's attention by coming to a stop in front of the big round table in the center of the massive room. Everyone looks up at me from their cards. 

"Oh, what is up, man?" One of the guys, Dominic Ortiz stands up from his chair to give me a handshake and a pat on the back. I feel a little bit better knowing he's here. Dominic has always been more my friend than Ryder's. When he started playing with Ryder, he ended up taking more of a liking to me so we would hang out outside of poker night.

The air reeks of alcohol as I greet everyone else, my eyes still on Ryder. He flashes a smile at me before standing up. 

"Sure," Ryder replies. I smile at everyone and wave as Ryder and I make our way upstairs. 

        Gently, I close the door to the basement before glancing upstairs over the balcony at Aria's room to make sure her door's closed. The ceilings in this house are very high, meaning there's a ton of echoing when people talk. 

"What's up?" Ryder asks, his tone as dull as his face. As always, one way in front of people, another in private. 

"We need to talk about Aria," I answer. Ryder's expression hardens as he stands straighter. 

"What about her?" Ryder asks. My eyes almost glare into Ryder's as I think more and more about how he used to treat Aria. That woman doesn't deserve to be touched by anyone. Ryder touched her. He would make her sob, he would manipulate her, and most of all, he invalidated the fuck out of her. I never want him to even look at her. She's mine to look at. No man should ever look at her like I do.  

"Don't touch her, don't speak to her, and don't look at her. You don't like that, get the fuck out of my house," I state firmly. Ryder shifts with an unchanged expression. He nods his head, looking down. 

"Dad still owns the house. It's not legally yours for another year," Ryder comments. 

"I'm almost twenty-seven, inheriting a house from our rich father. What have you gotten from him?" I reply. Between Ryder and me, I am more successful, but not by much. It's no secret that my father prefers me over my older brother. He always has. Ryder didn't like this, so there was a mild falling out where Ryder lost this house because my father gave it to me instead. 

"Derek, you let everyone serve you shit on a silver platter, don't give me that bullshit," Derek retorts, angrily.

"I run a better ship than you ever have. That's why your clients leave and come to me instead," I reply, anger and adrenaline coursing through my veins as Ryder boils more and more. 

"Y'know what, Derek, at least I didn't have to kidnap Aria to fall in love with me, she found and fucked me all on her own."

        That's all it took for Ryder to hit the floor with a bang and a bloody nose. He clutches his head in pain as I lean over him, my anger clouding my thoughts. 

"Say her name again, mother fucker, I dare you," I seethe. Ryder looks at me before laughing and sitting up. His laughs continue to echo as he stands to his feet.

"You're so pathetic and weak. Getting all worked up for a girl," Ryder brushes himself off as I clench my jaw. "You're not even worked up over a nice, fresh, girl. You're worked up over a used, manipulated slut."

I raise my fist at Ryder again, but he catches my hand this time before getting closer to me. "Do that again and I'll seriously fucking kill you, Derek. I've just been waiting for an excuse to put a bullet between your eyes."

I smile at him for a moment. "I'd love to see you try."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Derek," Ryder says simply, dropping my wrist and walking back downstairs. I exhale in relief before dragging myself upstairs. I don't have the energy for anything else. I just want to go to bed now. Ryder is tiring. He's a piece of shit now. When we were growing up, he was my best friend. I don't know what happened. 

I didn't want to lose my calm or embarrass myself but I had to. Someone needed to defend Aria's name. I would never let anyone in their right mind get away with speaking to or about Aria like he did. Ryder degraded her and tried to reduce her to nothing when they were together. I'll be damned if I let him pull that shit again.

I make my way up to the last step and glance at Aria's now cracked open door. I spot an eye peeking out at me before the door fully opens, giving me an invitation inside. 

"Wanna talk about it?" Aria asks, her light eyes flickering to my knuckles. I didn't even noticed that they were slightly banged up. I shrug my shoulders, walking in her room. We sit on her bed I tell her all about what happened. Aria listens with care as her head nods and tilts ever so often. Her curiosity is so beautiful. Everything about her is so pretty. Why did Ryder have to try and ruin such a pretty girl.

Once I finish explaining, Aria gives me a smile before giving me a gentle hug. "Thank you for defending me, Derek, that means so much to me," She says. I smile and hug her back, taking in her lavender scented shampoo. I could get used to this, making her feel safe.

"Of course, preziosa."

Aria and I sit and continue to talk, but in the back of my mind, that hug replays the entire time. Even if I can't make her feel safe all the time. I'm glad I can still make her smile when she needs it.