The Forgotten Deal

Aria's POV:

        When Derek proclaimed his love at that table, my heart sank into my stomach. I don't want to fall for another Montgomery. I don't need that shit in my life again. I don't want  that shit in my life again. I turn the faucet to the shower on and step inside of the steamy, relieving glass box. I let the hot water race down my back as all of the events of today continue on repeat in my mind. 

I miss my dad. I can't believe my mother would want to hurt him, or even me for that matter. I know she isn't my number one fan like my dad, but I never would've thought she'd want to hurt me in anyway. She's a seething witch with no moral. I can't believe she even used the Montgomery family for something like this. She probably wanted it to be Ryder. 

Oh my god. 

Ryder. 

What if he never loved me? What if he was working for my mom the entire fucking time? What if Derek is now doing the same to finish the job?! I need to get the fuck  out of here, now. My vision clouds with tears as I scrub my skin clean, rubbing back and forth until my arms are beat red with a rosy tone. My heart aches as I begin to think about Ryder and everything we had. 

I may hate him now, but I loved him at one point... I truly loved him. He meant everything. I was ready to put a ring on his finger and utter the words 'I do'. Ryder and I had something. We had a bond, a connection I have yet to feel with another person. He was my first love. 

       Stepping out of the shower, I take a moment before heading to the bathroom. I gaze into the mirror at my body, nothing but a towel covering me. I hate my broad shoulders. I hate my stomach. I hate everything about my body, but Derek loves it for what it is I guess. Or does he? Derek tells me everything a man should; he tells me how much he worships me and loves me. It's almost as if it's rehearsed or some shit. Derek's stereotype is what every goddamn woman and her mother wants. Maybe I'm just being delusional for thinking it, but why should I trust Derek? His family has done nothing but lie to me. 

I step out of my room in comfy clothes. The coldness from the house engulfs my body, sending shivers down my spine as I trail to the kitchen. One day, I'll get out of here. I'll leave, take my dad with me, and we'll never be found by my mother again. Why does she so desperately want me married into this horrible family?

My thoughts grow increasingly out of control as I maneuver through the kitchen for a caprisun in the fridge. I close the door and my stance stiffens as someone's arms snake around my waist. My heart rate sky rockets as the person's breath is hot on my neck. A sinking gut feeling forms in the bottom of my stomach. This isn't Derek. I know these tattooed hands from anywhere. 

"Hmm," Ryder hums softly, moving my hair from my ear. I unravel under his touch, hatred consuming me as painful memories with PTSD haunt my brain. 

I spin around in his arms and push him away from me. Ryder stumbles back for a moment before chuckling. "Now is that anyway to greet the man who gave you everything?" Ryder's tone is clearly taunting as my jaw clenches in anger. 

"You gave me nothing but a few black eyes and unpaid therapy sessions," I reply, my fist balling at my sides. His presence is evil, dark, and haunting. He's like a predator on a constant hunt for prey. The way his eyes grow determined when he sees me. And I don't mean good determination, his intentions are sinister and punitive. He wants me to seem inferior to him... a small bunny rabbit next to a seething lion. Ryder want to 'show me what I was missing'. 

"You didn't mention the countless amounts of money for your father when he struggled for a period of time," Ryder reminds me as he leans back on the counter, his muscular frame pushing on the countertop. I seize the opportunity and back up until my ankles hit the bottom of the dishwasher.