Change of Plans

Josie and Sweetpea were driving back home, the man was still pissed at Cheryl and he couldn't believe the way she had spoken to him. "That woman is rude, and Toni has a point. She isn't normal," he said in annoyance but when he didn't receive a reply he looked at his wife. "Why are you quiet?"

"What do you want me to say?"

"Tell me what you think,"

"You want me to say my opinion about a woman who I only sat with for an hour?"

Sweetpea scoffed. "No one can sit with her more than an hour. Today I was sure that Toni has a point."

"With what?"

"I don't rule out the option that she might have something to do with his death."

"What?" Josie asked with wide eyes and confusion.

Sweetpea just looked at her and said nothing. Josie shook her head and looked out the window.

Toni was in the living room, looking throughout the window as she watched Cheryl head off. She could hear Veronica's footsteps as she stood behind her. "She won't come back now," She said in a gentle voice.

"I'm not waiting for her," Toni said not taking her eyes of off the window. "But I find it weird how could she go out at this time of night. And to where?"

"You want a drink?" Veronica said as she lifted the two glasses and a bottle of wine she had in her hands.

Toni nodded, "Allow me," She said grabbing the bottle and the glasses and making her way to the sofa, followed by Veronica. She opened the bottle and poured wine into the glass. "How did Cheryl meet my uncle?" She asked as she rested her head on the back of the couch.

The nurse looked at her with confusion. "Didn't you uncle tell you?"

The short brunette shook her head. "He didn't tell me that he was married," She said as she was looking at the ceiling.

"Are you serious? You don't know that Larry was married to Cheryl?"

"Nope," Toni said simply. Veronica said nothing as she took a sip of her drink.

"How long have you been living outside the US?"

"About ten years,"

"And you never thought of coming back?"

Toni shook her head. "I don't like to come back."

"Why?"

"I have my life in Canada,"

"Are your parents also with you in Canada?"

The short brunette sighed. "My parents have died." She said softly.

"Oh, i'm sorry.. since when?"

"My mom died when I was a kid, and my dad has been dead about nine years."

Veronica nodded, "My dad passed away too, and my mother remarried. What about you? Are you in love? Engaged? In a relationship?" She said with a small laugh.

The brunette laughed and sat up straight. "In love? Of course not. Engaged? No way, but as for the relationship part, I've been in a lot of hookups but nothing serious."

"You don't want to have a family?"

Toni shook her head. "I don't want to do anything, I just want to finish my stuff here and go back to my house and to my life."

"I want to fall in love, get married and have five kids," She said as she took clung her glass with Toni. "Cheers, do you want me to put some music?"