Chapter 39 - A New Face

_____________________

That awkward moment when you don't want to come out of your room because there are strangers sitting in the living room.
●□●□●□●□●

●□●□●□●□●_____________________

●□●□●□●□●
_____________________

--Isabella--

"Best of luck!" I told Dave before he drove off to school. I knew he was going to ace the test like always so he didn't have a sense of fear on his face. Me on the other hand generally freak out even if I revise the whole book five times.

I went back inside and helped Juliana cook lunch. Though there were so many servants, she insisted on not keeping a cook and cooking on her own. The dishes she cooked were delicious. My mother never used to cook since she was a bad cook. I never complained about it.

All I ever needed was her love and attention and she couldn't even give me that.

"Where are you lost? Still thinking about last night?" she said while smiling.

"No. I am not." I said, shaking my head and smiling so that she doesn't get a hint of what is getting me worried.

"Then what are you thinking about? If you have any worries, you can share with me. Maybe, I can be of some help." She said carefully and I smiled.

"You know, you are the sweetest person I have ever met. You are so considerate about everyone. I wish my mother was considerate about me." I said. She came towards me and held my face.

"I am not you real mother but I can try to be your mother. Want to tell what happened? You might feel better."

"My mother left me when I was 11. She married that bastard when I was 10 because she couldn't even handle the bills for one year without a man. After marriage, when he started to abuse her and I, she ran away. She couldn't survive even 1 year and expected me to live with that bastard for the rest of my life. God shouldn't give a mother like her to anyone."

"She must have had a reason to do it. No mother would ever leave their child behind to die."

"She would and she did." I wiped the lone tear which escaped my eye and went back to cutting the vegetable. Daniel had gone to office for some work so Juliana and I ate our lunch without him.

Around 1, Daniel came to pick me up and we went to the court.

When I stepped inside the court, there were only a few people present for the hearing. Slowly people started to make their way into the room. After 15 minutes, the police arrived along with my step father. When I saw him, my breath hitched.

I had never seen him in this condition.

His hands were cuffed and he was wearing ragged clothes. He had eye bags under his eyes and it looked like he would pass out any minute. The minute he saw me, he tried to fight the police to reach me but couldn't. We stood on two ends of the court.