Chapter 10: Family is overrated

"she's the closest thing I have to a family, my parents died in a car crash when I was twelve and she's been my nanny since I was born, my parents made her my guardian and everything they own is now under her name and my brother's" he explains, smiling sadly.

Smooth, Alyson, smooth. An annoying voice comments.

I flip it off and swallow my pride, putting my sandwich back down and apologize "Sorry, dude."

He looks up at me "at these moments I would dismissed with a nod or mumble a thank you, but since you actually put down your sandwich and stopped eating it means that you actually meant it." he chuckles. "thank you, tiger."

I'm relieved that the awkward tension that settled twenty seconds ago is lifted, and hopefully we're back to our easy banter and shameless flirting.

"I am not that bad.." I argue, I am hell when I'm deprived of food, which happened twice since I started school and it wasn't a very nice experience for him.

He laughs "yeah you are." I hit him with a fry, then lean to get it back.

He laughs at me and continue to eat.

After a few bites I pipe, "I'm glad you know that I actually mean it. It really blows losing your parents.."

I wish I had lost mine.

I know what he meant by his previous statement, in the 'rich and famous' world, hypocrisy is the law.

Being true to yourself and everyone around you gets you mistaken for weak and soon enough, you become the food for the hungry hypocritical predators.

It's a rule.

Ever heard of 'fake it to make it' that's everybody's motto, They fake, feign and pretend to climb the social ladder, what they don't know is that, it's parallel with the 'a.sshole' ladder, the richer and the more famous you become, the more of an as.shole you turn into.

Even if it means feeding off of someone else's misery, or happiness.

As long as it benefits them, they'll do it.

The air around us got thinner and the tension started to build, his stare had gotten piercer and it is starting to make me feel a little uncomfortable.