THIRTY THREE

"FUCK OFF, CAMPBELL." Helena snapped as she peeked through the crack of the door. "Elle's not your property."

Helena had came to the church to see Elle alone. Elle began to repeatedly apologize to Helena, making the girl extremely confused but Helena only assumed it was caused from the abuse Campbell enforced on Elle.

Helena then brought Elle home to keep her safe, but Elle was still hesitant on it since Campbell was someone she didn't want to mess with. If Elle wasn't sure before, then Thanksgiving dinner proved it.

"You're not welcome here." Helena went to close the door but Campbell quickly pushed it open.

"Look," Campbell started, his tone low, "I'm the wrong person to fuck with. You know?"

Helena looked at Campbell sharply, "So is my cousin, so like I said," She glanced at Campbell's fingers that were on the door frame. He caught her gaze.

"Fuck off."

Helena shut the door and locked it, leaving Campbell outside.

"They want to run?" Charlotte furrowed her eyebrows. Xavier had just told the Pentagon what happened back at the house with Jason, Luke, and Clark.

Xavier blinked at Charlotte's face. She was genuinely surprised and confused by what he had told her. He lowered his voice so the others in the cafeteria don't hear them. "You didn't know?"

Charlotte shook her head, making Valerie chuckle bitterly and shake her head. "The Guard going against their own leader. What has this society come to?"

"They didn't tell you because they know you're not running and that you stand by Allie." Miles realized, a slight frown on his lips. "You would've shut them down instantly."

"The Guard can't run for mayor," Kyla muttered, shaking her head, "They're our military. Who's going to protect us if they're mayor?"

"No one. If the Guard is no longer the Guard, then the last piece of sanity and structure we have around here will collapse and shit will go down." Valerie stated, running a hand through her hair.

"We need to tell them they can't run." Kyla said, her eyebrows furrowed. "Val, go tell Clark or Jason right now."

"Yeah and what? Clark punches me in the neck, sending me flying ten feet across the room?" Valerie raised an eyebrow. "Or even better, Jason takes his slice of bread and suffocates me with it?"

"Okay, I know they're stubborn and hardheaded but don't exaggerate here." Miles sighed, shaking his head at Valerie who cracked a slight grin.

"Don't say anything," Charlotte spoke up, her eyes on the Guard who sat at a different table since there was some tension between Clark and Charlotte. Now knowing their new plans on running for mayor, Charlotte knew that they were going to avoid her since they were going behind her back.

"What?" Xavier questioned.

"Pretend I don't know," Charlotte told Xavier, her eyes glancing between her friends, "I want to see how this is going to turn out. I want to see where they stand in my life."

"If they turn out to be unloyal, I'm going to lose my shit." Kyla mumbled.

Miles frowned, "Loyalty is a rare thing here, especially since we're in a different universe."

Charlotte looked over at the table with her fellow 'Guardians' and clenched her jaw. "Is it bad that I feel like they'll one hundred percent go against me?