FORTY THREE

"CAN'T WE OPEN IT NOW?" Xavier groaned, throwing his head back on the couch. They gathered at Miles' house and were in the living room.

Both the Pentagon and the Guard were in the house.

Valerie shook her head, "We have to wait for Helena and Grizz to arrive."

Luke shifted in his seat, "Helena?"

Valerie nodded, "She needs to be here when we open Char's letter. She's her cousin after all."

Kyla noticed the discomfort on his face and raised an eyebrow, "Why? Aren't you glad to see your fiancé?"

Valerie decided to play along and tried to hide her growing smirk. "Ex-fiancé."

Kyla let out a gasp but she was already aware of the fight that happened between the couple. Not only because Luke asked her but Helena had come to confide in her the night before.

Helena had confronted Luke for lying to her — after a huge rant from Valerie on how she had to stop letting Luke fool her — and the two ended in an argument.

"Luke."

Luke looked up to see Helena entering their shared bedroom. He stood up to greet her but she quickly spoke. "How could you?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, "What are you talking about?"

Helena clenched her jaw to hold back her tears that stung at the back of her eyes, "Y-You lied to me.. Allie didn't steal the election."

Luke refrained himself from being surprised and swallowed the lump that formed in his throat, "What do you mean? I didn't—"

"Kyla told me that it was all Campbell's plan."

Luke furrowed his eyebrows, "Kyla? She doesn't know what she's talking about—"

"Just stop it Luke! You can't make anything up anymore," Helena snapped, "I-I trusted you Luke.. I let you arrest Allie and let Lexie take over.. I let Charlotte down."

"Helena.."

The two stood in silence for a moment, making Helena shake her head. "You have nothing to say, Luke..?"

Luke pursed his lips. "We didn't mean for things to end like this.."

Helena shook her head, "Talk to me when you can explain yourself.. I'm going to stay with Kyla tonight."

"We're still together," Luke muttered, glancing over at Valerie with a look.

Valerie raised her hands, "Jokes, Luke."

Kyla shrugged her shoulders, "Then why was she at my place last night?"

"Oh shit," Miles whispered, looking at Kyla, "That was pretty good."

Kyla giggled, "I know right?"

The door opened and closed, making everyone fall silent. They looked to the doorway and saw Helena come in with an eager look. Her mood instantly dropped when she caught sight of Luke and the Guard there.

"Now we wait on Grizz," Xavier said as Helena entered the living room. She narrowed her eyes.

"What are they doing here?" Her tone made Clark and Jason glance at each other and then at Luke.

"Shoe found the letter," Xavier started, "and it would be good for them to know what the letter has to say."

"Why? So they could go tell Campbell and arrest us?" Helena questioned.