FORTY FOUR

"WHY ARE THEY HERE?" Gordie whispered to the Pentagon as he glanced over at the Guard who were sitting in their own corner. Everyone was gathered at Kyla's house.

"Don't worry, they're not with Campbell anymore." Valerie reassured. "We need them on our side or it will be impossible to take Campbell, Lexie, and Harry down."

Kelly furrowed her eyebrows, "How can we trust them? Look at what they did to Allie."

Kyla nodded, making sure to speak loudly for the Guard to hear, "If they do turn on us and tell Campbell, then Charlotte would've meant nothing to them." She then lowered her voice for only the few to hear. "Char means a lot to Clark and Jason who are the main influencers. Shoe is literally just there and Luke? Fuck him, his words mean nothing."

Xavier snorted at the last part but agreed, "With the confirmation that.." He halted for a second, a frown appearing on his lips for a split second, "Char is gone,"

Gordie pursed his lips as Kelly frowned.

"He wants to redeem himself and stop disappointing her,"

"The bastard should've done it beforehand," Valerie added, "It sucks that they only realize what they're doing is shitty once Char's actually gone.."

Xavier nodded in agreement, "I know.. And well for Jason, him and Char were close. We already have Grizz and with Clark and Jason, those fools won't stand a chance."

It was true that with the three strong-minded Guard members on their side, it would be easier to win over the people from Campbell and Lexie. Currently, people listened to Lexie because they believed that Allie tried to steal the election. Also, seeing the Guard–the one thing that made them feel safe in the town–stand alongside Lexie, it made people follow Lexie instantly.

"Alright," Miles started, slowly catching the attention of everyone. "I know everyone in this room doesn't exactly get along," Kelly glanced at the Guard who no longer seemed like the Guard that was once held together by trust and love. The tension was heavy between Grizz and the rest of the other boys.

"But we need to come together to take down Campbell and Lexie as well as finding our way out of here."

"What about Charlotte?" Becca asked, Eden in her arms.

Once the others found out about Charlotte's letter, it sent them into panic. If she was truly gone, there was no more hope to be saved from the town. Campbell and Lexie could fully take control and no one would be able to stop them.

Gordie couldn't accept the news of Charlotte actually being gone. It reminded him about Cassandra's passing and it made him scared. The two women he strongly admired, one in which he was in love with, and the other he appreciated greatly, were both gone before his eyes.

"We'll also keep an eye out for her but as of right now, it hurts to say this, but our main priority is getting out of here before those two maniacs destroy us all." Miles informed.

Kyla nodded, glancing at Grizz, "Thanks to Grizz and the expedition team, they've found land with food and water. We just need to prepare in silence and settle there."

"How long will it take? Winter is coming soon.." Kelly murmured.

Helena nodded, "We don't have much time too, and the stuff that we'll have to do to even be stable.."

Valerie caught on and nodded her head, "Will be back-breaking shit, yeah," she shrugged her shoulders, "But if we all work together, we will succeed. The first few months will be rough but we'll eventually make it there."