THIRTY SIX

"YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SAY GOODBYE?" Xavier asked quietly, glancing at Clark who was standing on the sidelines. Xavier, Luke, and Jason went to say their goodbyes to Charlotte and the others. Jason was the only to hug her tightly, as he felt himself almost blurting out everything to her since he felt so guilty for lying to her.

"Stay safe," He muttered, holding her to his chest tightly, "and don't push yourself too hard."

Charlotte felt something in her chest squeeze. She knew Jason was already lying to her yet his love and worry for her was real. She shut her eyes and squeezed Jason back tightly, surprising him a bit.

He pulled back and held her shoulders, searching her face, "Are you okay?"

Charlotte nodded her head but Jason continued to pester her, his face serious. "No, for real, is there anything bothering you?"

The corners of Charlotte's lips went up, "Nope, I'm just hoping we find something on this expedition. You know, nervous,"

Jason gave Charlotte a look, "I know you, Char, you seem bothered."

Charlotte chuckled and patted Jason on the arm, "Funny you say that, 'cause there's a lot you don't know about me, Jason."

Jason paused for a second, a memory appearing at the back of his mind. Charlotte had said that to him on the day they disappeared, after the play. Except when she said it then, she was playful with him. Now, it sounded almost like a threat.

Charlotte shook her head and smiled, "I'm fine, you don't need to worry for me. Grizz will be with me." She glanced back at Xavier and Luke who were standing away on the side from them, watching them silently. "It's been a long journey in the new town, thank you for sticking by my side."

Jason furrowed his eyebrows, "Why does it sound like you're saying goodbye?"

Charlotte chuckled, "Because I am saying goodbye, I am leaving for this expedition after all."

"No, like—"

Charlotte cut him off by looking back at where Kyla was, "Uh, I gotta go say goodbye to Kyla before she beats my ass," She looked back at Jason and smiled at him, "See you soon, Jason."

Jason watched Charlotte with a frown as she tackled Kyla in a hug.

Clark kept quiet, making Xavier sigh. "I know you two aren't on good terms right now but she's going on an expedition. You should go talk to her, you shouldn't drag this out for too long."

Clark frowned, "What do I even say to her? Our friendship became practically over when I refused to converse with her."

Xavier raised his eyebrow, "That's not how it works, you guys are still friends, just not on talking terms." He looked at Clark, "Why did you tell her you weren't ready to talk?"

Clark shook his head, "I don't know.. I didn't know how to face her after I practically confessed. I just felt embarrassed."

Xavier cracked a small smile before patting Clark on the shoulder, glancing at Charlotte who was giving Helena a big hug. He lightly chuckled when Charlotte lifted up Helena, making the cousin let out a yelp and slap Charlotte on the back.

"Well they're literally going to leave any second now, you should at least bid her a farewell. We don't know how long they're going to be gone. Just a simple 'Bye' and 'Good luck' will do."

Clark stared at Charlotte intensely, debating on whether he should go or not. Xavier watched Clark as he seemed to be having an internal battle with himself.