Chapter 78 - Maid of Gévaudan

Slamming our free hands onto the double doors into the school I push open the doors with Stiles, each of us having an arm of Liam's thrown over our shoulders as ours are wrapped behind his back.

Hayden falls in step next to me as we try to hurry down the hallway with a very injured Liam hobbling along with us.

We can hear screams from people as they are running every which way away from the growling and roaring of the Beast who is chasing people down in the halls all throughout the school.

Shivers run down my spine with the echoing terror the roar leaves behind as we come up to round the corner of the other hallway.

Stiles sets his arm on the wall next to him as we all stop our steps and I throw my arm out from my other side, straight across Hayden's stomach. I pull her back with us as a large group of people scream and run past us, heading down the hallway we just came from.

Once the group clears, Hayden sets her hand on my upper back and with Stiles' head nod forward we continue down the hallway.

Hayden runs ahead of us and opens a classroom door for us to run through. We hear the Beast roar from somewhere deep in the hallways of school as another round of screams echo from the crowds of people.

Hayden closes the door behind us quickly as Stiles shouts "The desk– the desk!"

Stiles let's go of Liam and I move to brace him more as he screams out in agony while Stiles throws his arm over the desk, knocking all the contents onto the ground.

Hayden comes up on Liam's otherside and we all grab onto him, hoisting him up onto the desk.

Liam groans loudly as we scoot him up to lay across the desk, Hayden and I moving on either side of the desk, setting my hands on his shoulder while Stiles grabs the sides of his head "Okay, okay"

"Liam" Hayden croaks, worry lacing her tone as Liam tries to reassure her through his panting breaths "I'm okay– I'm fine"

Hayden and I quickly get to work, pulling back Liam's jersey to asses the damage. My fingers shake as we pull fabric back until I realize it isn't just fabric we're pulling back and I have to fight back the urge to hurl all over him.

His whole abdomen is slashed apart with blood, muscle and things I don't want to acknowledge I may be seeing with my actual eyes. I let out a quick, shaky breath and swallow thickly as I close my eyes and try to keep my composure.

I hear Stiles gag as I open my eyes and pull my hand back, instantly sharing a worried look with Hayden.

Liam looks between us and his attempt to look at his stomach as he rushes out "What?– is it bad?"

Hayden and I quickly shake our heads, reassuring "No" at the same time Stiles nods quickly with his answer "Very"

I huff and flick my eyes up to him, earning him to make a face and shrug like he isn't wrong before Hayden rushes out "Okay– okay, what do you guys usually do when this happens?"

"Oh, I usually pass out– and I think I still might do that" Stiles mutters, his eyes looking droopy as I reach out to stable his arm from doing just that "Sty--"

"Right– okay" he mumbles and gains his footing again, setting his hand on mine as he adds thoughtfully "Okay– Scott did this with pain. He could trigger it– pain makes you human."

"He's already in pain." Hayden stresses out through her freak out and I nod gaining her attention with my words "Right, but sometimes adding a little more could help trigger the healing process– Derek did that with Erica remember?"