Chapter 17

Previously…
(Crystal's POV)

I walked over to Jasper and stood next to him, waiting patiently for the newborns to come. It wasn't long before I could feel him tense next to me and I knew that the army was here now. I could hear the sounds of their feet padding on the ground running into the clearing, along with the occasional growl when they would breathe in Bella's scent that she marked on the trail with her blood.

"They're here," Alice said to us in a low whisper.

It was then that I felt the presences of the shape shifters getting into their position, hidden where they were to cut the newborns off when they split off at the same time the newborns entered the field.

I waited for Jasper to give the signal for us to attack, and he did by being the first to charge, running at them. I decided to take my handguns out of my holster and aimed it at two newborns, pulling the triggers as the sound of a double 'BANG' echoed through the clearing.

Chapter 17
(Bella's POV: Up on the Mountain)

I lay face down across the sleeping bag, waiting for justice to find me. Maybe an avalanche would bury me here. I wished it would. I never wanted to have to see my face in the mirror again.

There was no sound to warn me. Out of nowhere, Edward's cold hand stroked against my knotted hair. I shuddered guiltily at his touch as I flashed back to the last time I had been touched when I asked Jacob to kiss me outside the tent, betraying Edward.

"Are you all right?" he murmured, his voice anxious.

"No. I want to die."

"That will never happen." He objected. "I won't allow it."

I groaned and then whispered, "You might change your mind about that."

"Where's Jacob?"

"He went to fight," I mumbled into the floor.

Jacob had left the little camp joyfully – with a cheerful "I'll be right back" – running full tilt for the clearing, already quivering as he prepared to shift to his other self. By now the whole pack knew everything.

Seth Clearwater, pacing outside the tent, was an intimate witness to my disgrace.

Edward was silent for a long moment. "Oh," he finally said.

The tone of his voice worried me that my avalanche wasn't coming fast enough. I peeked up at him and, sure enough, his eyes were unfocused as he listened to something I'd rather die than have him hear. I dropped my face back to the floor, thinking again about my betrayal once again.

Flashback…

Edward kissed me lightly on the lips, and then disappeared into the forest with Seth at his side. Jacob was still in the shadow of the trees; I couldn't see his expression clearly. He was obviously upset at having to overhear second hand about Edward and I's engagement.

"I'm in a hurry, Bella," he said in a dull voice. "Why don't you get it over with?"

I swallowed, my throat suddenly so dry I wasn't sure if I could make a sound come out.

"Just say the words and be done with it."

I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry I'm such a rotten person," I whispered. "I'm sorry I've been so selfish. I wish I'd never met you, so I couldn't hurt you the way I have. I won't do it anymore, I promise. I'll stay far away from you. I'll move out of the state. You won't have to look at me ever again."