Chapter 24

Chapter 24
(Damien's POV)

I had just gotten off of the phone with Crystal, my little sister, from here in Texas. It's been a couple of days since I had last heard from her, which was back when her mother, Esme, had come to ask Crystal to come back home with her to help their family destroy the army of newborn vampires who were made with the intent to take out not only her family, but Crystal's brother's very human mate.

Ever since their departure, I have been beside myself with worry for her, and even though he doesn't show it, I know that Jackson was worried about her, as well. Crystal has been like a daughter to him. Nowadays, he has been focusing his concentration on other things in order to keep his mind off of Crystal and her lack of phone calls – and by this, I mean that he has been keeping company with a new girlfriend with a two-faced personality. Whenever he's not around, it's like someone flips a switch and she turns into a glorified mega-bitch from hell rather than the sweet and doting woman she tries to play herself off as. Regardless of my misgivings about the girl, I didn't want to say anything to him about her second persona, especially since she seems to make him happy - at least that's what it seems like from where I'm standing.

After sitting alone in the living room lost in deep thought, I finally made the spontaneous decision to head to Forks and quickly hopped on the phone with the airport to reserve my ticket. I had immediately headed up the stairs to my bedroom to pack a duffle bag and headed out the front door towards the airport after jotting down a quick note to Jackson regarding my trip to Forks. I fully expected a phone call later on.

Once I finished checking in and picking up my ticket, I headed through the security check point, thankful that I wasn't subjected to a random search. I made a quick stop at the nearest barista for a large coffee and waited in the seating area until I was called to board the plane.

Standing in line, I began to think about Crystal and the excitement I felt at being able to see my little sister and her so called 'mate', Jasper Whitlock, also known as 'The Major', who was known as one of the most fearsome vampires in existence. I was curious about their relationship and made it my business to do my research the second I found out about the connection he shared with Crystal via Carlisle when I called last week after not hearing from anyone since her departure.

"Sir, may I please see your boarding pass?" The flight attendant asked, breaking me out of my internal monologue. I pulled my ticket and boarding pass out of my back pocket and handed it to her. She took it with a flirty smile, and glanced down at it before giving it back to me with a smile. "Thank you, sir, and enjoy your flight," She said with a wink.

I nodded and took the ticket, holding it up with a courteous nod. "Thank you, Ma'am." I replied and then proceeded to walk down the long enclosed gang plank to board the plane.

I glanced down at my ticket to see what seat I was assigned and established that I was in the second row, seat B - first class, of course. I then proceeded to stuff the paperwork into the side pocket of my carry-on before stepping onto the plane, nodding 'hello' to another flight attendant who was greeting the passengers.

Coming to a stop in front of the second row, I reached up to open the overhead compartment and placed my carry-on inside it above my seat before getting settled. I looked across the aisle next to me, taking note of a cute older couple who were holding hands and speaking quietly. From what I could tell, the old man seemed to be comforting his wife.

I pulled out my cell phone as I waited and entered my contacts, scrolling down until I saw Crystal's name and picture before hitting 'send' and holding the receiver up to my ear.

"Why, hello Damien," she answered with mock-innocence.

I scoffed at this as I replied, "Don't 'hello' me, little miss! I haven't receive one single, itty-bitty phone call from you since you've left here God only knows how long ago. You are most definitely in hot water with me! There is no excuse you could possibly give me that would make up for not calling to check in with me even ONE time." I playful snarked into the phone, though, if I were being honest with myself, I was only half joking. The other part of me was dead serious in my berating of her and her lack of communication.