part 10: repairing a broken spirit..

after a while you reach... a very decrepit... old garden of some type. Grey, withered and dead all around. it looked like it would be extravagant if it were alive.

you looked around in awe for a moment until spinel gasped and raced off the launch pad. This startled you into a chase after her. "wait up!" you called, managing to get her to slow to a stop. she let you catch-up to her, sadly glancing out from the corner of her eye as you walked to her side. spinel sighed and shut her eyes. "This was our garden." she said, her voice soft and solemn. "A special world built just for Pink and I." you look down at her, eyes suddenly wide in shock. "pink..? As an..." you ask, not sure if it's who you think it is.. she glances up at you, her gaze answering your question. "Oh.. stars." Standing before you was the playmate of Steven's late mother; pink diamond. "She... she was my.. first best friend." her eyes clenched. "at least... I thought she was." your eyes widened in surprise.  "what do you mean thought..?" you whimpered, your chest suddenly aching at the amount of break in her voice.

she looked down at you, her face desolate. with a sigh, she shut her eyes and continued. "well... on homeworld... pink... she was sad and lonely." she started, looking at her feet. "but here, she wasn't. we'd play for hours." she shivered slightly, looking up into the sky, like she was digging deeper into her lost memories. and the deeper she got, the more broken she became. "But.. she... wanted a colony more than anything. and one day... her wish came true." a thin, weak smile stretched her lips. "I was so excited! a brand new place to play!" you blinked, multiple times. "but... then... what happened? why didn't you go?" you asked, now more on edge, desperately hoping it was some type of mistake. spinel didn't look at you. she just stared, almost vacantly ahead. instead of replying normally... she sang.

"here in the garden... let's play a game... I'll show you how it's done..." she raised her chin. "here in the garden.. stand very still... this'll so much fun..."

she then grew a light grin. "and then she smiled... that's what I'm after. the smile in her eyes, the sound of her laughter..." her smile then faded and her eyes darkened again. "happy to listen... happy to play... happily watching her drift... away."

she then started walking, prompting you to follow numbly, spinel started up again, stopping her walk again. "happily waiting... all on my own... under the endless sky..." she looked up at the sky at this verse. "counting the seconds... standing alone... as thousands of years go by..." she clenched her fists and furrowed her brow. "happily wondering, night after night, is this how it works, am I doing it right..?" she shook her head. "happy to listen.. happy to stay... happily watching her drift.... away..." she then took your hand and started to walk-spin with you at this verse. "you keep on turning pages, for people who don't care, people who don't care about you..." she then released you, kneeling down and plucked a withered flower from its dried roots, "and it still takes you ages... to see that no one's there... see that know one's there... see that no one's there..." she handed you the flower, which crumbled in your grip moments after. "everyone's gone on.. without you..."

she suddenly stiffened. "...finally something. finally news... about how the story ends..." she clenched her eyes. "she doesn't exist now... survived by her son... and all over her brand new friends..." your eyes widened, terror and sympathy etched in your features. "it's that lovely? isn't it cool? and isn't it cruel, and aren't I a fool to have... happily listened... happy to stay... happily watching her drift..."

she started to glow brightly, white light engulfing her completely.

"drift..."

this time you watched as her heart gemstone slowly rotate to the inverted position it was in when you met.