~part 25: big mistake~

Next morning, after your weekly check up with the diamonds, they allowed you and spinel to go to earth for a day to yourselves. It... surprised you to say the least, given how they were so adamant that earth was a danger to the gemlings, but you weren't complaining. Perhaps they were starting to lower their worries about the planet, seeing that spinel came back in a sense of elation after the last time. Or they just wanted you to spend time with Steven, as they think he'd be an excellent guardian/playmate.

...unfortunately, part of you wasn't sure.

You were forced to stomp those protective instincts down, as to not offend your dear diamonds. To them, he was still pink diamond. And he kind of was... in a way.

While he was his own person in general, he still basically had half her in him.. you should know. You saw what was left of her at that shower.

And that overly intense aura that... pink Steven projected was more overbearing then White Diamond's "motherly" love towards you and spinel.

...but of course, you only saw the color. Not what it did.

So... you decided to give the kid a second chance.

...and so far.. it was going smoothly. he decided to treat you all to a day at funland, and it was a pretty fun. Well... in some parts it was. Other times, you had trouble keeping your protective instincts in check. For the most part you didn't let spinel ride any of those terrifyingly massive roller-coasters or any thing that went at a fast pace or bent in odd angles. You only allowed slow kiddie rides or arcade games.

Spinel, while mildly bummed out, understood where you came from. that much adrenaline may not be good for the litter. While she only road the merry go round and an odd seahorse ride, she mostly settled with playing many of the carnival games and arcade games. Not only did that give her a substantial amount of thrill, but it also earned her more plushies and knick knacks for your gemlings to play with. and all that time, Steven was at his best behavior. He pointed out the games with the best plushies and suggested the best kinds of food to quail spinel's ever growing hunger pangs.

All in all, you had your guard lowered around the teen. He seemed to have appeared to be well in control, so you can trust that pink state wasn't anything to worry about.

Right..?

"Are you okay, my (gem)?"

You gasped slightly, as a soft voice cuts into your contemplative silence. You turned to pink pearl, who was innocently looking up at you, whilst giving small licks of strawberry ice cream cone you had brought her. You force your negative thoughts down and force a chuckle. "Er... yeah! Just... deep in thought." You reassured with a weary smile. Spinel cackled beside you. "you sure ya aren't still on edge from what Larimar said to ya?" She snickers again, and you blush darkly in embarrassment. "N-Now, she said she wanted to make our gemlings scream." You protested crossly. "How else was i supposed to take it??"

Pink pearl giggles lightly as Steven looked up from a flower he was inspecting. "Sh-She has it mistaken for another kind emotion, don't worry about it!" You crossed your arms and huffed, reluctantly taking his word for it. You sigh and look around at your surroundings.

To finish the day off, you decided to take them into your favorite spot in the woods to wind down. It had beautiful flowers of all colors growing as far as the eye could see. The sun's rays shined perfectly through the thick green canopy of wide leaves that grew abundantly in the branches, warming the area in a comfortable heat. The grass was soft and long, making it a perfect sitting spot. You normally came here during your little homeworld days to unwind and think to yourself. Sometimes if you thought hard enough, you could swear you remembered coming here during your days of corruption...