~part 23: the gemling shower~

"Jeez...!"

Spinel's eyes widened at the now heavily decorated living room, all strung up in pink and (color) streamers, balloons and a large magenta banner with the words; "CONGRATULATIONS!" sprawled out across it in (color) bubble letters. Both the homeworld and crystal gems were present here, along with a few of your fellow little homeworld residents, along with greg, connie and lion and cat steven.

This alone allowed you to relax slightly. While both are quite strong on their own, the combination between weaponry and natural abilities, will provide extraordinary security. You smile cheerfully as amethyst, larimar and connie sounded their party horns while steven threw his arms in the air.

"Congratulations, (name) and spinel! welcome to the first official GEMLING SHOWER!"

You gave a small laugh as spinel was still looking around in amazement. "Oh gosh, Steven! Ya really went all out here, didn't ya?" Pearl stepped up, chuckling lightly. "Of course we did!" she chirped, sounding quite excited. "it's been decades since a gemling had been created! It's only appropriate that we celebrate the first litter after such a long time." Her gaze drifted over to steven, who put a hand behind his head, smiling broadly. Spinel smiled herself, cheeks a dark tint of pink. "Aw shucks.. you shouldn't have." You smiled down at spinel as she averted eye contact with steven and the gems, and instead held your arm, pressing her cheek against it. "Come have a seat," steven gestured to the couch, the table in front of it littered in colorful bags and wrapped boxes, all different sizes. "we have some things to get you guys started!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Aw! Isn't this a cute little fella!" Spinel's eyes twinkled as she held a dark purple bear, wearing a pair of white shades, dark purple shorts and the letters "MC" held on by a gold chain. "That's Master of ceremonies bear bear! MC bear bear for short." steven elaborated cheerfully. you look up from the pink bear you were inspecting, as you did with the other gifts and treats spinel was given, giving steven a curious stare. I thought THIS was MC bear bear..?

"Originally I gave it to Lars as a gift, but he said that you guys will need it more than him. After all, you never know when you'd need a good DJ!" Spinel chuckles lightly and hugs the bear into her chest. "I'm sure they'll love 'im." She shuts her eyes, a peaceful, daydream like look coming to her face as she hugged the small plush. At this, you can't help but smile. Just seeing her so happy and relaxed... made you feel so warm and happy. "Man, I gotta tell ya, spinel! You've got it really good now!" Amethyst suddenly pipes. "I mean, not only do you get to have your own gemlings, you get to be spoiled by both diamonds and a hot (gem)!" She lets out a bubbly laugh as the look of witless cheerfulness crosses her features. "Guess what pink diamond did wasn't totally bad-"

Spinel sat up. "huh?"

"AMETHYST!" pearl hissed through clenched teeth, causing the purple gem to clasp her hands over her mouth. "Let's not bring that up, shall we?" Pearl said, trying to keep her voice from sounding too angry. "Why don't we... go and tend to some of the other guests?" She suggested while ushering the small purple gem away, deeper into the party. Spinel watched them with a rather confused look on her face. "Wait, what was that about who?" She called after them, looking more confused than ever. Apperantly, she was only half-listening to amethyst, being mostly lost in her daydream state. That thought made you strangely happy. It's like she's letting herself relax more and more.

...well that or she was still kind of groggy, and the softness of the stuffed toy against her gem made her zone out. either way, she didn't hear what amethyst was saying. Thank the stars for that. She blinks in total confusion. "What was that about?" She turned her attention to steven, who was sitting next to you. "Say steven, what was she saaay...ing...?" Her eyebrow lifts and her pupils shrink into a look of bewildered alarm. You furrowed your brow at this reaction. what's with THAT face? "Steven-?" You follow spinel's gaze to the boy beside you, only for a gasp to get caught in your throat.

he was... pink...

glowing pink!

what in diamond's name..?

You started to also sense... an air of tension around him. He looked rather tensed up himself as he watched the tall gem pushing the purple gem away from you all.

why is he pink?

why is he tense??

...is something gonna happen???

what does it mean!?

what is he thinking?!!

Pink pearl's eye flickered from the strangely pink Steven to you, who's pupils had shrank into thin slits as your shoulders tensed up. It took her a moment to realize the growing danger of the situation.

Your instincts, the feral protective instincts sire gems gain, were taking over. And from the looks of it, the tension pink steven was projecting was being taken as a threat...

With a start, she hurriedly places her hand on Steven's shoulder. "Steven!" she hisses urgently to the teen, causing him to blink and instinctively look down at himself, a startled gasp escaping his throat. He then shakes himself as if he was trying to get something off of him. After a moment, the pink fades, leaving him back to his pale skinned self. "s-sorry about that! j-just some sort of... n-new power."

Spinel blinks a few times, before she suddenly laughs in amusement. "You are one whacky kid, Steven Universe!" she elbows your arm lightly, oblivious to your tension. "Ain't that right, (name)?" You stared at him pensively for a while, eyes looking him up and down in suspicion before nodding, allowing a small, thin smile to lighten your face. "...yeah." you replied steadily. "He sure is." Steven must have saw the suspicion and unease in your stare, because he suddenly cleared his throat nervously. "I-I'll go get you guys something to drink... be... right back!" in a huff, he sharply stood up from his spot beside you and speedwalked to the kitchen, trying to hide his look of concern and worry. Pink pearl watched him for a moment before turning to you. "I'll... go see if he's okay..." with that she follows after him, this time, not bothering to hide her concern. Spinel frowns slightly at Steven's sudden departure, though it was more confused than sad. "What's with him?"

You stared unblinkingly in the direction steven had disappeared to, pupils still thin lines in your eyes.

"I don't know..." you answer, a dark note in your voice.

but I don't think I trust it...