~part 19: breaking the news {pt 2.}~

Yellow and blue pearl were the first ones to react, them gasping loudly in alarm, eyes bugging out and jaws dropping in pure and utter shock. You even saw blue pearl's bugged eyes from under her long bangs.

You'd be laughing at such a comical reaction. Especially with normally composed, yellow pearl and quiet blue pearl bearing such a reaction.

But the only thing you could do was keep your eyes on the diamonds.

You felt a ball of ice freeze your chest as you saw the gleeful smiles fade and their eyes slowly widened, engulfing their faces into the look of pure shock.

"You... you're... what?" White's voice was unnervingly soft, and you felt yourself start to tremble under their wide eyed gazes. "I-I meant to space that out..." you stammered. "B-but y-ye-yeah..! we-we're g-go-gonna be having..." you voice shrank into a squeak. "Ge-Gemlings..?"

A quiet whimper rose in your throat as white slowly leaned back into her throne, raising a hand to her chin, like she was trying to take in what she had heard. Yellow was looking down, as if she were in disbelief and blue had a hand clasped over her mouth. They were all completely silent as they contemplated what they had just heard.

You felt your knees start shaking as time went on, and you absentmindedly begin twiddling your fingers in anxiety as the 3 massive gems sat in a contemplative silence, unreadable emotions on all of them.

You take a glance behind you, and frowned at spinel, who was wide-eyed herself, knees shaking, clutching her belly, looking as if she'd vomit at any moment. Steven wasn't any better, as he had sweat pouring down his face, as he chewed his fingernails, his eyes sliding across the 3 diamonds, as if he was waiting for something to happen. Pink pearl had a concerned look on her face, like she wasn't expecting them to react this way.

that was when white suddenly slammed her hands against the arms of her throne, raising from her throne sharply, eliciting a squeal of fear from you, spinel and steven. you staggered backwards, pulling spinel into a tight hug, as she whimpered and trembled against you. Steven had his arms over his head, as if he was shielding himself, shivering. "I-I know this is shocking," steven squeaked shakily. "bu-but, you've gotta understa-"

White Diamond suddenly throws her arms up, looking upwards.

"WONDERFUL!"

you recoil slightly, the words freezing halfway up your throat as her words rang out across the room. "wh-what?" you, Steven and spinel spoke in unison, shock ringing in your voices. you stared in disbelief as the diamonds suddenly had excited smiles plastered across their faces, looking more giddy than you ever thought was possible for them.

"It's been too long since we've been grazed with the presence of a sweet little gemling!" White exclaimed.

"the palace will be more lively than ever with little gemlings around now!" yellow mused.

"Oh, I know they'll be so cute and as energetic as pink was!" blue added giddily.

white clasped her hands in front of her chest, smiling excitedly, her eyes focused on you. "oh, starlight! you have made us the happiest gems in homeworld!" she proclaimed quite loudly, shining brighter than a star.

"...we did..?" spinel asks in a tiny voice. white suddenly scoops you and spinel up into her hands and bring you up to her face. her eyes were shining. Well... brighter than usual that is... "of course you have! You don't understand how long we've been wanting to see one again."

Yellow raises up and joins white beside her. "Yes. you see, back before Steven even formed, gemlings were much too small and frail and took too much time to fully develop and care for. We needed strong armies with soldiers prepared for whatever dangers they needed to face, in order to colonize for the empire. Therefore we needed to stop gemling reproduction and replace it with kindergarten reproduction."

Blue steps up, smiling softly. "But, now that there is peace established, we can allow gemlings again!" Blue beamed at the two of you. "And we are honored that the first litter in a millennia will be reared here in the palace."

Your and spinel's mouths hung open in complete shock as white lowered you both to the ground, setting you both down gently. "Oh, do make sure to bring them by often!"

Blue nods, clasping her hands in front of her chest. "I'll teach them the all games pink used to play with us!"

"I'll be sure to teach them a few things on mannerisms and being polite to other life forms. because respect is very important." yellow added matter-of-factly.

white spread her arms out, up in the way she used to stand, her chin raised and eyes shut, with a dreamy expression. "and I shall educate them on the history of gemkind. I'll teach them everything that is to be known about our beautiful culture, our proud history and our perfect empire!" blue rested a hand on White's shoulder. "be sure not to mention any negative events from before." she whispered, to which white lowered her chin in agreement. "goodness, no! we wouldn't want to give them a bad impression of us! that would be terrible!" white brought a hand to her head dramatically as you, spinel and Steven stood in silence, trying to process their words. Steven raised a finger, and opened his mouth to speak up. "I uh-"

"Excellent, excellent!" white mused, sitting back into her throne, still smiling rather happily. "Pearl, make sure the nest is in mint condition." you hear yellow order to her pearl, causing the latter to break from her shock. "And make sure there's plenty of soft bedding. " blue added. "Y-Yes, of course!" She chirped, elbowing blue pearl into attention before scampering over to you and spinel. "Now then. You are all dismissed." White waved her hand, not looking at you, still daydreaming. Pink pearl had her hands clasped together, smiling happily. "Come along, my spinel and (gem)!" She turned and almost skipped out of the throne room, while you all followed slowly behind in shock and disbelief.

"Take care now!" Called yellow.

"And do be careful!" Added blue.

In the hall, you all were looking at the ground as you walked, wondering if what just transpired really happened.

It was a few minutes into your walk back to your room, was when steven finally managed to find his voice.

"Well.. uhm... that went better than expected."

---------(a/n)---------

Maybe ooc for the diamonds to do this, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

That and I couldn't think of anything negative they would say about this.

Don't like it?

Deal with it.