~part 18: breaking the news {pt. 1}~

"Spinel is going to be having gemlings soon!" You exclaimed, a bright smile on your face.

"...nah, ya put too much into that one." Spinel curled her lip, as you both followed pink pearl to the throne room, where you will be seeing the 3 diamonds and reveal the news to them, face to face.

Steven timidly followed behind, loosely listening in as you both rehearsed what you would say and how you would say it. "You.. sure you guys don't want me to just tell them...?" He asked, twiddling his fingers nervously. You look back, offering the teen a soft smile. "We appreciate the concerns.. but it's better if we tell them directly. It's more proper, ya know?" Spinel nods in agreement. "Yeah, don't worry your curly head about nothin', universe. You can just support us. Simple!" He nods hesitantly, giving an almost forced grin back to you. "I-I guess you're right..." he mutters casting her gaze down to his feet.

Some more awkward silence came over you all as you continued your long walk to the throne room. All of you in your own worlds; you were running through the lines you'd say to the diamonds and how you'd say it to them in your head, Spinel had her gaze fixed on the small swell in her abdomen, wondering how she hadn't noticed it before, steven, who simply didn't know what else to say at that point and finally, pink pearl, who was just beaming at the thought of gemlings being brought back.

It was when you ran through the tenth verse, that you take notice of how silent it really is. Aside from the footsteps that echoed across the halls, it was far too silent. Clearing your throat awkwardly, you speak up to try and break the tension. "So steven.." you start, catching the boy's attention. "How did the... crystal gems take the news?" Almost instantly, steven's face lit up as he remembered the reaction he had gotten from those he had told the news to. "Oh! Well..."
~~~~~~~~~

"SHE'S WHAT!!?!" Pearl squawked, staring bug eyed at steven, who was too excited to be taken aback from her outburst. "Yeah! Spinel and (name) are going to have gemlings soon! They're gonna be parents!" He exclaimed with excited starry-eyes. The moment these words left his mouth, pearl started babbling in a stupor of disbelief, most of her words incoherent aside from the occasional "she's" and "they" that left her mouth, before she finally gives out and faints from the shock. Amethyst laughs at pearl's reaction before pumping her fists into the air. "YEEEAH! There's gonna be little spinels and (names) runnin' around!" Garnet stood motionless for a minute before bringing a hand to her visor, adjusting it slightly before calmly speaking.

"hoo boy... did not see that coming."
~~~~~~~~~~

"She... passed out?" You asked looking back at the boy, who was struggling to stifle his laughter. "It took about 20 minutes for her to come to. Even after that, she couldn't speak clearly for 20 more minutes." You snickered at this, rubbing the back of your head. She wasn't precisely wrong; if these gemlings were anything like their mother, she'd always be on her feet. "And the B-team? What did they say?" steven rubbed his arm, suddenly looking sheepish. "Oh... they uh..."
~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh my stars. There's gonna be MORE OF HER??" Peridot clutched her head, looking almost terrified. Steven looked around for a brief moment, smiling nervously. "Well, I guess so, but..." as he struggled to find the right words to say as peridot's mind raced at the thought of having MORE spinels running around. She could only imagine them with their elasticity and endless bouts of energy...

Not to mention that if they were to inherit their mother's curiosity, the many machines and various tools were in quite a bit of danger... and if they inherited her mother's tactical knowledge... what kind of schemes would THEY be capable of coming up with?? "Uh... peridot?" steven asked the green gem as she stared at the ground, clutching her head.

Lapis was stunned. "I... wow..." was all she could say. Who would of though gemlings would resurface after eons of using kindergartens to reproduce gems. Just shows on how much things had changed... a light smile brightened her face at the thought of seeing a gemling for the first time.

Bismuth, while initially startled, smiled, both excited yet shocked. "Wow! Congrats to (name) and spinel then, huh?" She gave a little laugh, thinking about having the playing with the small spinel and (gems) and having them run around little homeworld. But the more she though about it, the more worried she became. She already saw what a curious spinel would cause. Now there's gonna be more...? Finally, her laughing faded and she placed a hand on her chin.

"We're gonna have to gemling-proof a lot of things, aren't we?"
~~~~~~~~~

"yeah, probably." you muttered, smiling. "but, I think the little (gems) would keep them from causing too much damage.." you hear spinel scoff, as she smirked. "good luck." you roll your eyes and nudge her with your fist. "you know it's true." she snickers and pushes you away lightly. "shut up." steven smiled as you both joked with each other, spinel offering play-punches while you toyed with her pigtails, before pulling her closely to you, her leaning into your shoulder while you lay a kiss on the top of your head.

"We've arrived!" pearl announced, gesturing to the large door before you all.

All of you froze as you stared up at the looming doors, a strong surge of fear pulsing through you. On the other side of those doors, were the diamonds. And little did they know, they were about to be told that their spinel and (gem) were going to rear a litter of soon to be gemlings. Something that hadn't happened in decades. Stars only know how they'll take it.

You hear steven audibly gulp behind you as spinel clutches your arm, trembling against you. you stare up at the doors, bitting your lip to fight a whimper. "o...kay.." you droned, trying to steady your voice. You look back at steven and spinel. "You ready?" you asked, eyes flickering between the two. Both of them barely nodded, while steven played with the collar of his shirt. With a huff, you nodded to pink pearl and she nodded back, gesturing you to follow her into the room. On shaky legs, you all entered, trying to repress the whimpers in your throats.

When you entered, you hear spinel let out a small whimper as she saw the 3 large gems sitting in their respective thrones, all of them baring soft smiles at seeing you, and curiosity glittering in their eyes. Question is, will those smiles hold after hearing this? With a deep breath, you step forward, giving the traditional diamond salute. "My diamonds." You start, your voice more calm than you feel. "Thank you for seeing us at such a short notice." You swallowed a knot in your throat as you almost had to force the next statement. "We've... got something very important to tell you."

your chest tightened as concern filled their features.

"Everything alright with you both?" blue asked, leaning forward slightly.

"Did something happen?" yellow asked, raising her eyebrow.

You shook your head, becoming more tense by the minute. "Er... Well... yes... and... yes.. b-but I-It's... nothing... bad... just-"

White suddenly clasped her hands together, looking all to eager to hear. "Oh, don't leave us hanging, starlight! Do tell, do tell!"

You trembled lightly as you glanced back at the gem and half-gem behind you. Spinel had her hands clasped over her stomach, lips quivering in fear as steven was sweating buckets, shuffling in place. Pink pearl nodded cheerfully to you. With a deep breath, you turned back to the large trio, and spoke, hoping they won't hear the edge in your voice. "Me and spinel... w-we're..."

It suddenly all came out at once in a bluster of pressure.

"We're going to have gemlings!"