~part 31: the names~

You snap your head towards the voice and bare your teeth instinctively, growling lowly in your throat, only for it to falter at the familiar thin gem.

"Ah. Steven's pearl."

You let a friendly smile curl your lips as spinel looks up from her gemlings and offers a warm side smirk. "How's it going with you?" You asked, tail twitching in curiosity. She smiles softly and steps in a bit. "We're all doing well, thank you..." she suddenly looks sheepish. "The... the others are here to see, if you don't mind." This took you aback slightly.

More gems?

Here?

You feel the feral instincts start to gnaw away at your rationality as the thought of the room crowding with other gems- potential threats- and what they could do to-

"Send em in."

Your eyes snapped open at the sound of spinel's calm approval from behind you. You turn to her with a quirked eyebrow, wordlessly asking why she'd make such a risky decision. She gave a stern yet soft stare into your eyes, as if saying it will be fine this time. As much as you wanted to protest, you knew that there was no point in doing so. Once she's set on something, it'll take the diamond's word to change her mind.

Besides... with stronger gems surrounding you, it should be fine... you snorted lightly, and gave a small nod to pearl. She brightened up and poked her head out the door, nodding to those waiting outside.

As the gems entered, you can hear yellow pearl's insistent voice lecture to them as she lead them in. "Remember what I said to you all now, you will not so much as touch the gemlings, nor will you get to close to the nest without consent! gemlings are frail on their own, let alone newly created ones! one careless grapple and POOF! they will destablize, putting their growth process risk! and not only that, but they are completely dependant on both the carrier and sire gem! so not only will you disturb a gemlings healthy development, but it will cause the sire gem to-" she was cut off by an annoyed groan.

"Yeah yeah yeah, we know! You told us all the moment we warped here!" Yellow pearl scoffed at the terse tone amethyst used against her, only for garnet to hold a hand up pacifyingly. "We just want a peek is all." Yellow pearl give a soft hmph before gesturing to your nest. "Do be as quiet as you can, though." Blue pearl suggested softly. "They scare very easily." Then came that one all too familiar voice, laced in unease and awkwardness. "Ahem... yeah."

You watched as the crystal gems entered with unblinking eyes, watching each and every move they made towards your nest. "Heeey, (nickname)!" amethyst piped cheerfully, rubbing her hands together in eagerness. "Where are the lil' Gs?" Pearl peeked over your large form, and her eyes twinkled as she caught sight of the spinel gemling making a fuss in her mother's hands and the sleeping (gem) gemling curled up in your hands. "Ah, there they are.." she whispered, bringing a hand to her mouth.

The other gems followed her gaze and smiles instantly bloomed across their faces. "They're beautiful, (name)." garnet whispers, stepping closer to the bed. "Yeah, congrats Spinz!" spinel chuckles hoarsely, while letting her daughter play with her index finger. "Thanks you guys." Amethyst looked over to steven, who was actually a fair distance from your nest. "You, ste-man! Whatcha doing all the way over there? Come on, the gemlings are here!" Steven fiddled with his hands, looking down at his feet nervously. "I... I don't know..."

It seems he's still on edge after what happened...

"Come on now, champ." You spoke up, causing his head to snap up. It was still quite deep, so it must have startled him. you gave a little side smirk. "My instincts wouldn't last like this for long. Peek while you have the chance, kid." He gulped nervously at your unintentionally threatening tone, but with the assistance of pink pearl, he came closer to your nest, and after taking one glance at the small bundles before him, stars formed in his eyes and the look of pure awe washed over his face. "Oh... wow... (name)..!" a smile formed slowly on his face. "they're so... cuuute!" You smile in pride as he squishes his cheeks, cooing at the small, shifting bundles before him.

At this point, your firstborn gemlings stirred and they began to peep and squirm subtly, slightly unsettled by the new presences they were sensing, and they were trying to shuffle closer to spinel. Sensing this, spinel pulled them closer, dipping her head to kiss them both on their small foreheads. "Hush, there's nothing to be afraid of." She murmured to them softly, which seemed to have settled them. You smiled brightly, a purr rumbling deep in your throat at the display, pride and joy pulsing through you in strong surges.

"Do you have any names for them?" Garnet asks, waving a finger over the active little spinel's face, watching as she fumbled clumsily for it. You blinked as you came back to reality. "Right, the names. Let's see..."

You look at the small pink (gem), sleeping soundly in your large palms. "This... is (gemling name)..."

You point your tail to the (color) spinel, who was squeaking and squirming playfully, staring up at the others with wild magenta eyes. "And... that's (spineling name)." Your eyes flicked to spinel's. "Spinel? Any names?"

She looked down at her eldest son, a spinel that looked so much like you, who was contently curled up against her gem. "That's... little Iolite..."

Her gaze slides over to the little pink (gem) version of spinel, who laying beside her brother. She was staring curiously back at her mother with shiny (color) eyes. "..and... Kunzite."

"(Gemling), (spineling), iolite and Kunzite?" Pearl repeated, not taking her eyes off your second eldest son, who was lightly nibbling your thumb. You nodded, cupping your hands more firmly around the gemling, eliciting a soft content coo from him. Amethyst giggled, partially with approval and partially at the fact the active spinel had taken hold of her hair, pulling and nibbling on it cheerfully. "Pretty sweet, you guys!" spinel giggled, tickling her daughter's belly.

You just smiled and purred to yourself as you watched everyone coo and play lightly with your little family.