~part 15: spinel... without spunk..?~

Next morning, you felt a light tap on your back. You groaned lightly, lifting your head lazily off your keyboard, and rubbing your eyes. "Hello, my (gem)." You recognize the soft voice and stretch your arms over your head, a tired yawn escaping your mouth. "...I fell asleep mid-TubeTube binge again, didn't I?" You murmured, turning to the pink pearl. She nodded, a warm, cheerful giggle bubbling out of her. You snicker and stand up, groaning as you stretch your back and legs. You give pearl a small pat on the head before turning to the pile of blankets and pillows. "Spinel. It's morning, toots," you call gently to the gem beneath the mound.

No reply.

"Spinel?" you call again. A few moments after, you get a low groan in response. Like she didn't even want to get up. This mere act alone left you greatly unnerved.

This wasn't normal behavior for spinel. OBVIOUSLY. Normally spinel would either rise like a sunflower and greet you with a tight hug or yawn and stretch cartoonishly, her arms till her hands grazed the ceiling before booping your nose playfully. Spinel alone wasn't the type of gem to just stay in bed in general. Spinels in general are practically buzzing with energy and cheerfulness, and she was no different, especially being a perfect cut.

Pink pearl, concerned herself, carefully approached the bed and reached to take off the blanket. "My spinel, are you ok-" a pink gloved hand suddenly lashed out like a cobra from within the pile, swatting at pearl's hand, eliciting a yelp from the latter, making her stagger back and you gasped at the suddenness.

"Spinel!?" From the opening in the blankets, you see spinel's magenta eyes peering back at the pearl in an irritated sneer. "Don't touch. Or you'll mess it up." She hissed, her voice low and slightly hoarse.

Pink pearl whimpered, backing up and standing behind you for protection. After a moment of shuffling around, she slowly crawls out of the mound and stretches forward, arching her back like a cat, yawning before kneeling at the foot of the bed, regarding you with a tired smile. "Mornin', (nickname)." Her voice sounded so uncharacteristically quiet. Tired. You looked her up and down, knitting your brow slightly as you realized how out of it she looked.

She had a slight slouch in her posture, her arms resting lazily at her sides. Her pigtails were more unkempt and frizzy than usual and they drooped slightly. Her eyes, normally shiny and full of energy were glazed and half-lidded, complete with notable bags beneath them. Overall, she looked completely devoid of any of her normal, high, spunky energy. "You headin' to earth?"

Your mouth was parted open in both concern and slight fear. Was she sick? What's going on with her? Quickly though, you put on a small smile, not wanting to put any form of stress on her; including worry. "Er... y-yeah. To... get you more donuts." Spinel looked down and pondered for a moment. "Uh... actually, can you pick up some of those uh... fry... bits...? Yeah, fry bits too..?" She asked shyly. "And uh... few more... pillows and blankets as well...?" she rubbed her arm as if she were embarrassed to ask this.

Sheepish, quiet, AND drowsy? Spinel? Can those words even go together??

You shook your head and smiled wider. "S-Sure thing, love." Spinel smiles and reached her arms out, asking for a hug.
You internally shuddered. She wasn't even using her elasticity to pull you in. You walk over and gave her a warm, tight hug, giving a soft kiss on her head. Once you broke away, spinel started re-adjusting pillows and blankets. You backed up and exchanged a look of concern with pink pearl.