~part 20: past come back..~

"No you doofus! this pillow is supposed to go HERE! And this pillow goes THERE!"

You had to fight down a snicker as you watched the currently very grumpy spinel readjust the freshly changed nest you have reassembled wearing an adorably childish pout. "Well, soorry, grump-inel. But some sire gems aren't good nest makers." You barely tried to hide the teasing edge in your voice, prompting spinel to snap up at you, lower lip puckered in a confused glare. "Grump-ine- THAT'S NOT EVEN CLEVER!" she poked you in the forehead, softening her face into a playful smile. "You're a whole lot better than that!" A sly smirk stretches your lips at this and you take her wrist into your hand. "better than... (sugary nickname for spinel)?"

You almost immediately burst out laughing as spinel recoils, her face comedically twisted in embarrassment. "Why you cheeky little-!" She suddenly grabs one of the pillows and begins to beat you with it, prompting you to shield yourself with an arm. "I'm sorry! Ow- sorry! I take it back!" Spinel, stared with a moody but warm glint in her eyes. "You better." She 'hmph's softly, putting the pillow back into its place. With her nest complete, she sighs and lays back, clutching the teddy bear from funland. "I still don't get why we couldn't go out to earth with Steven. What's the deal with that??"

You snorted lightly. "Well, they just want you to be safe. Given that..." your gaze slowly drifts from her bored face to her abdomen, which has swollen significantly the past few weeks. "...They're progress." Your lips twitched slightly, as your gaze flickered between the belly and her face, prompting her to catch on to what you were implying.

She scowled, blushing deeply and hugged the plush into herself to hide it. "I told ya not to say anything about it!" You roll your eyes and walk to your computer chair, and sit into it, rolling over to the bed's side. "It's gonna be harder to hide, you know." You then offer a cheesy grin. "Not that it'll detract any of your beauty, though." Spinel scoffed, lightly bopping your face with the plush toy. "You're such a doofus." She then leans forward and pecks you on the nose. "But... You're my doofus." You grinned goofily at her. "You know it."

You both then sit back in moment of peaceful silence. You just leaned back in your chair, shutting your eyes, slowly swaying side to side while spinel laid on her back, holding the plush bear up, examining its (color) fur and pulling at its bow tie on its neck. Her finger then trailed down to the many stitches and patches on its chest and belly, from injector shrapnel and leftover bio-poison. A small frown crossed her face as the memories uprooted themselves from her subconscious.

She really was gonna try destroy an entire planet, wasn't she?

She was really gonna end thousands of innocent lives, including an innocent kid out of spite?

Spinel shuddered, hugging it tightly, as she stared up at the ceiling. With a sigh, she turned her head to you, who had drifted off into light power nap, and couldn't help but feel a sting of guilt her chest. And I could have lost my (name)... her gaze looked you up and down for a moment, before returning her gaze to the ceiling.

But Steven was able to stop her. heck if it wasn't for him, you wouldn't be here. she wouldn't be in laying in a cozy bed along side you if it wasn't for him.

...And yet, she tried to kill him due to his relation with her former playmate?

...what would that have solved...?

Spinel groaned loudly, smacking a hand into her forehead, startling you out of your light slumber. You looked her up and down in concern, as she sat up, rubbing her forehead in what looked like distress. "Everything okay, spins?"

She dragged her hand down her face, as she looked over at you wearily. She gave a weak chuckle, rubbing the back of her neck. "It's nothing.. just uh.." her face faltered. "You were... right about... things comin' back to haunt ya." You crooked an eyebrow, slightly confused on what she meant, but after a brief moment of thought, you realised what she was referring to.

"...Aw, spinel." you got up and walked her, pulling her into a warm hug. "It's... it's over now. Everything's chill." Spinel sighed, wrapping her arms around you, looking down at the bed somberly. "I.. I know.. it's just... can't believe I did that, ya know? I really did take my anger out on a bunch of strangers." She shut her eyes. "Like... a planet's worth of strangers." She pressed her cheek into your chest. "And... that just... doesn't really sit well with me the more I think about it." You her rub her back soothingly, placing a knee on the bed's edge to get closer, making sure to not mess up the nest. "Spinny, I also took my anger out on innocents. remember?" Spinel looked up at you for a moment, almost taking your attempt in comfort, before softly shaking her head, burying her face into your chest. "No... you didn't know right from wrong at the time. Heck.. you didn't even know what you were really doing... But me... I did... I was fully aware of what I was doing..." She suddenly stiffened. "But... worst of all..." there was a small crack in her voice, prompting you to look down at her. And you did indeed see her eyes start to well up with tears. "I... I wanted a kid to die alone on a barren planet..." tears began to roll down her face. "And I... I almost lost ya, (name)." She buried her face into your chest, starting to shake. "A-and that's... really hard to forget..." You felt your chest tighten in hurt as spinel began to weep softly into your chest. "Oh spinel..."

You pulled her closer, giving her a few kisses on her head, rubbing the back of her head, shushing her lightly. "Spinel. It's not your fault. It never was. Pink's thoughtless actions was what caused this." You almost hissed, hugging spinel tighter.

Seeing spinel in such... pain gave you a foreign anger that burn in the core of your gemstone. "If only she thought about the repercussions of her actions, we wouldn't be suffering from these scars. No one would." You growled lowly. After a moment, however, you took a deep breath to steady yourself. "But... she... she did it for the better..." you said out loud, though it was more towards yourself. "Just look at us now... if she didn't do it, we wouldn't be here..."

Spinel doesn't respond. You look down to the sniffling spinel, who has calmed down slightly, now just resting against your chest, taking deep breaths. You simply laid there, allowing spinel time to get it out of her system, gently rubbing her back all the while. After about 10 minutes of silence, she sits back, rubbing her eyes, still sniffling a bit. "Th-Thanks, doll." She looks up at you, wearing an embarrassed smile. "H-heh. S-Sorry about that. I... don't know what came over me there..." she gives a small chuckle. "I guess that's what they call uhm... mood swings, right?" You grinned lightly, planting a soft kiss on her head. "Eh, it happens to the better of us." She smiles, rubbing the back of her head sheepishly. But she sulked, sighing as she pressed her forehead into your chest. "But... still though. An entire planet... for one person. That's just... wow." you cup her cheek and lift her head so she could look at you. "It's not like you're loved any less." She smiles up at you, placing a hand on yours. "I love you." She simply states with a dopey smile in which you return.

"I love you to."