~part 21: a primal promise~

"Spinel."

"Mnyes..?"

"Spins, it's time to visit the diamonds again."

"...."

"Come on, we gotta go."

"But I don't want to..."

"Oh come on, you know how the diamonds are about these gemlings!"

"But are all these check-up visits really necessary? why can't they come here?"

"...I'm thinking it's because they can't fit in a room this size."

"Uugh.."

"spinel, please just get up from the nest."

"(Name), I am in no condition to leave this nest."

"Oh spinny..." you sighed. She was about 8 moons into the development. Her midriff had swelled up to the point she didn't even want to make an attempt to try and sit up. Not only did she feel heavy, but she didn't want anyone else to see her in such a state.

"It's natural for this phase to happen. Besides, you're their first carrier in years. They just want to keep in check with the development. To make sure we're doing well." Your plea only earned another defiant grunt from the pink gem. You groaned slightly at this. She's grown a bit more stubborn over time. Of course, it was understandable, given she was not only tired and irritable, but the diamonds weren't subtle in their worry about you both. Asking the same questions and always giving you the same advice.

Are you feeling okay?

Have you felt anything yet?

Is (name) treating you well?

Be sure to change the best bedding every day.

Don't eat too much earth food.

Don't let spinel strain herself.

Maybe it was repetitive, But given that to your knowledge, this was their first and only litter of gemlings, it's quite understandable as to why they're so consistent with these check-ups.

At least for you, it was.

Spinel, not so much.

What used to take 10 minutes to coax Spinel out of bed, now takes 20 minutes to coax her into even sitting up, let alone leave her comfy sanctuary. You rubbed your temple for a moment, before an idea struck. "I'll... make you some of those cookie cats you like." After a few minutes silent contemplation, she peeked out from under her fort of blankets and pillows to give you a tired glare for a moment. "...promise?" You nod with a playful roll of your eyes. "I promise." She stares at you for a few moments more before crawling out from the pile, a tired grin on her face.

"Fine. but you're carryin' me there."
~~~~~~~~~~~

"Excellent. It looks like they're developing quite well."

Spinel pouted, her face darkening at White's observation, lowering her gaze to her feet. "...tell me about it.." she muttered quietly, crossing her arms over her notable paunch. Blue leaned forward, hands clasped together, looking like that of a worried mother. "How have you been feeling? is everything okay?" Spinel shrugged, avoiding eye contact. "Oh, you know... just bit tired is all..." you grinned slyly. "And a moody." You chuckled as spinel groaned and punches you lightly in the arm. Blue giggles and sits back in her throne smiling warmly. "Don't strain yourselves, now." warned yellow. "I hear stress isn't good for gemlings." you nodded firmly. "Of course, my diamond." You said firmly, while spinel grumbled softly to herself. "Heard it all before..."

"Anyhow, Steven also stopped by today." White stated, making you and spinel perk up straighter. "He said that he had something for you back on earth." You and spinel exchanged curious yet excited glances to one another before looking back up at the large gems, smiling excitedly. "Pearl, why don't you and spinel prepare for your trip to earth while we speak with (name)?" White suggests, prompting pink pearl to salute her with a giddy smile. "Of course, my diamonds!" she chirps, before gesturing to spinel to follow. spinel glances at her for a moment, giving her a nod before turning and giving you a peck on the cheek. "Meet ya at the warp pad." She then follows pearl to the throne room door, with you watching as she disappears behind them. "(Name)." You hear yellow call, prompting you to snap to full attention.

"Yes, my diamondsss..?" your voice faltered when you saw the 3 massive gems with their eyes trained intensely on your comparably small form, gazes suddenly hard and tense. "I trust you'll keep spinel safe from harm?" White's tone was so stern, it sent a sudden shiver up your back. But... she was so giddy a second ago!

You opened your mouth to form a reply, but yellow beat you to speaking. "As you should know, a perfect-cut spinel is already at a high risk with their rarity. There are still very few of them that exist in general as it is." Almost immediately, you felt your body become rigid in a sudden sense of fear. High.. risk...? That was when blue spoke up, her face leaning more towards worried then tense. "But a perfect-cut spinel carrier can be a prime target to both gems and other life forms." White crosses one leg over the other in a calm manner, with a hand raised matter-of-factly. "Naturally, we'd send you off with a ruby or amethyst guard..." She suddenly gave the faintest ghost of a glare. "...But considering the fact that such gems have been discharged in order to attain equality amongst gems... we are entrusting YOU to keep her safe." You stand in an unnerved silence as she rose a finger sternly, continuing her lecture. "Carriers at this stage are very vulnerable, (name). but the gemlings are just as fragile as the carrier. If not more fragile. The mere action of destabilizing the form of the carrier can result in..." her finger curled into her hand, forming a fist. "...unspeakable damage..." she reopens her eyes and prominently glares down at you. "So... I believe this order is a simple one; do not let spinel out of your sight. Guard her with your life. Do not let ANY harm come to her, by ANY means. Do you understand?"

You stood stone still for a good while as their words sank in. How could you have forgotten? She was a perfect-cut spinel; a rare, valuable gem. And now, she's holding gemlings. Your gemlings. a sudden stinging ignited your belly, burning with the prominent ache of anxiety. Anything could happen on earth. Any greedy human or rebellious gem could get to her. Harm her. Harm your gemlings. You subconsciously clench your fists, feeling that burn in your gem return at the thought of your family being hurt by any life form. For a split second, your gem flashed an intimidating shade of red, as a feral snarl emanated in the back of your throat. No. You thought.

No one will touch them. No one will harm them. and anyone to remotely cause her the slightest turmoil with her...

You snort suddenly, regaining your composure, lifting it to meet the diamond's gaze. "Of course, my diamonds." You said, your tone firm, as you traditionally saluted them. "I swear no harm will come to spinel or my gemlings." You were so tensed, you didn't realize your voice had dipped into a deeper tone. "Anyone who attempts to do so will pay. That I can promise." At this, they nodded, proud and satisfied smiles enlightening their faces. "Very good, starlight." White praised, her voice smooth with a slightly dark undertone. "We knew we could rely on you, (name)." Yellow added, sitting back in her throne, with a relaxed grin. Blue had a very warm smile on her face. "You're going to be an excellent sire gem to these gemlings."

The sound of a door opening caught your attention, and you turned to see your dear spinel waving to you, pink pearl having a bag packed. "Let's go, (name)! Hurry up!" spinel called. you turn to the diamonds, giving them one final salute, before speed walking to the pink gem's side, giving her a peck on the forehead. "Stay close to me." You said softly, earning a teasing grin from spinel. "Of course I will, ya goof! now come on! Let's see what universe has in store for us!" She pulls you along, leading the way to the warp pad. You relax as you allowed her to do this, smiling at the fact she was finally showing some of her old energy after months of being nestled into bed.

Pink pearl followed behind, smiling at both of your interactions, but had an air of wonder about her as she had her eyes trained on you in particular.

Has (name)'s teeth always been so sharp and pointed?