Chapter 1 - Within A Moment

Raffaele

Slumping back in my seat, I bring the liquor to my lips. Every drop is poison. I remain intoxicated. The pain in my chest tightens with every attempt to take a breath. I'm so fucking shattered. I'm so fucking broken. I'm no longer on my knees. I'm lying flat on my back, praying for the vultures to feast on me and end it all. This pain is unbearable.

The night replays over and over. I've crossed the line into insanity. The earth has opened and sucked me into the center; I'm left there to rot. The knock-on my office door forces me to scull the rest of my drink.

"It's time," Tommy's voice is bleak.

Pushing my chair back and standing to my feet, I slide on my jacket. Disheartened, I pick up the black armband and dislodge the lump in my throat. Securing it on, I loosen the tie that is threatening to choke me. Taking dreaded steps out of my office, I head to the car; the driver holds the door open as I slowly make my way. Walking is an effort, fuck even breathing is difficult. Sliding into the passenger seat, I rest my elbows on my knees and fist my hair. Fusing my eyes shut, I lose myself in the chaos of my tormenting thoughts. Just yesterday, we buried Zia Camila.

The night of the ball plays on my mind. Hysteria filled the room. Frantically the boys searched for the shooter. Tommy and Leon uncovered him at the underground car park. He ran out after taking the shot. Blocking his path, the boys were ready to contain him. In a blink of an eye, the assassin drew a handgun and pulled the trigger. Zia saved the lives of my brother and Leon, jumping in front of them fearlessly. The bullet embedded itself in her chest, centimeters away from her heart. She died moments later in one of my Capo's arms. The assassin managed to escape, but he can't hide forever.

Today, I bury the love of my life, the mother of my child. I'm in disbelief and don't want to accept reality. They call it denial, the first stage of grief. I don't know how to express what I'm feeling. I've never shed so many tears. I held her while she bled out into arms. I watched her breaths shallow. Laz and Petro had to peel her away from me. I was terrified to let go.

The ambulance was there in under ten minutes. We managed to get her to the hospital and into surgery. The wait was torture; fear clawed at me. It cut through me like razors. I've never been more petrified. Hours later, the operating room doors opened. I was casually handed her engagement ring and the bullet embedded in her chest; the news she died on the operating table was delivered.

The shock and disbelief had me mute, frozen. My Demon and Beast erupted with anger moments later. I drew my gun, ready to shoot the surgeon. They weren't meant to stop. They weren't meant to call a time of death. Antonio, along with two of the Capos, managed to disarm me. My anger quickly turned to heartbreak, and my men easily overpowered me.

I shattered into billions of pieces as waves of emotions swallowed me whole. It took four men to hold me down as they injected me with sedative, enough to have me limp and motionless. I spent the night looking at a ceiling, trying to register. Her intoxicating green eyes are now only a picture in my thoughts. I will never glance into them again. Fuck, it's killing me.

My car comes to a stop, and rain pours outside, replicating my internal anguish. Stepping out of the vehicle, I walk, or more like, drag my feet towards the Greek church. I'm not ready to say goodbye. Our son needs her. I fucking need her.

Shaking my head, I mumble, "I don't want to do this. I can't say goodbye."

The hysterical crying overpowers, pulling me away from my thoughts. Both her aunts scream at the sight of her casket. Looking ahead, I fight the urge to walk up there and shake her limp body till life restores. Ignoring the chaos around me, I take a seat in the far back corner. Repeatedly, I feel knives wedging into my chest. I keep my shades on as fresh tears run.