Chapter 26 - At The Church Step He Waits

Asimina

The ladies made their way to the church leaving Petro and me behind. Raffaele arranged a car for us. So, impatiently, we wait. I guess the bride is always late. Normally my family would walk behind me to the church; however, we are a small group, so we opted to do things just a little differently. Everyone will stand outside the church around Raffaele, waiting for my arrival.

Petro slumped into the chair plays a game on his phone. Our fathers would be proud. Petro has always looked out for me. I was the most rebellious and needed the most attention. He is the only person that deserves to fill in for my father. I picture what it would like to have had my mother here. She would've had been running around excitedly, constantly straightening out my veil, my dress. Tears of happiness would be running down her face. My father would have been emotional, handing his daughter over to the man she will depend on instead of him. I would have needed to remind him that he would always be my superhero despite having a husband.

I'm trying so hard not to cry, I'm picturing Jaz's furious face, but even that doesn't stop the traitorous tear that well up for my parents.

"Your parents would be so proud today," Petro reads my thoughts, smiling.

"I hope so. I miss them." I sniffle.

Handing me a tissue, he reminds me, "Jaz will be pissed if you ruined your makeup."

Meekly laughing, I nod, agreeing with him. Leaning forward, he rests his elbows on his knees and clasps his hands together, "I wish they were here too." He acknowledges how I feel, and that means the world to me. His phone rings with a message, "Our ride should be here in five minutes." Waving his phone around, he adds, "Raffaele."

"How was he this morning?" I question.

I'm a woman. I know what a wedding day means to us females. Getting married isn't just about the dress and gathering. You're devoting your life to a man, trusting that man with every part of yourself. "He's not nervous. He's accepted defeat gracefully," Petro smirks.

"Accepted defeat?" I repeat as a question, baffled.

"Yeah. You managed to lure and bring him to his knees. He's yours." Petro shakes his head at his memories, "I always thought the two of you would be drawn to each other, but I was also skeptical whether Raffaele would ever go down this road."

"Is it really that tragic for a man to be bound to one woman?" Men seem to reject the idea. Petro was one of those men not wanting to be held to a single woman. He didn't want anyone to dig their claws into him.

Shaking his head, he gives me an insight into a male's perspective, "To answer your question when it's the right woman, no." Fiddling with his phone briefly, he loses himself in thought, "The title of a husband holds a man to some pretty high standards. We fear failure, but with the right woman, new and unknown feelings start to engulf you. Although you still fear failure, you fear not having them in your life more. Taking the next step becomes easy."

"That's actually, beautifully said," I tease him.

"Don't tell anyone," he hikes a brow and smiles. Another text message comes through, and he stands to his feet, extending a hand for me.

Interlocking arms with my cousin, he leads me outside. "Hold onto me, Petro. You know how clumsy I can be. Don't let me fall."

"Not on my watch," leading me to the limousine that awaits. He opens the door for me. I'm lucky I chose a dress that didn't require one of those hoops underneath; otherwise, sliding in and out of a vehicle would be a problem.

Petro runs around and takes a seat next to me, "The limo will stop around the corner from the church, and I will walk you the rest of the way,"

"Sounds like a plan," sucking in a breath, I glance out the window. The closer we get, the more anxious I become to the point where I'm making myself sick. "Are you excited about your upcoming wedding?" I keep the conversation going with Petro.