Chapter 23 - The End Of A Blood Line

Raffaele

Groaning at the invasion of the light, I roll to my side. Asimina is still peacefully asleep, right in the center of the bed. Leaning my head on my hand, I sit slightly up, towering over her. I take in the sight. Slowly breathing, she has a smile on her lips. The covers are lowered to her waist, and her breasts are on display. My sweetheart seems cold. Those nipples have stiffened. We sleep naked every night; we both crave the skin on skin contact. It's comforting! I run my fingers gently up her arm, the hair on her skin stands, and tiny bumps surface. Yet, she remains fast asleep. Last night took a toll on her again. Her aunts almost fainted; the tremors in their bodies almost shook the house. They remained frozen, crying, and struggling for air. Asimina's tears were relentless, and for a moment, I had to walk away. I'm getting sick of seeing her in agony and teary. I don't want a life with me to bring her more sadness than happiness.

Her uncle was the first to push through and stepped forward. In complete disbelief, his eyes widen, redden as he frantically looked around at us, seeking confirmation that this wasn't a dream. I felt for him and her aunts. The overwhelming relief is suffocating. He held her for a good ten minutes before allowing the aunts to embrace her. Asimina's tears cascaded once more, and yet again, she apologized repeatedly.

The rest of us remained quiet, watching the interaction. Kon wiped his nieces' tears and spoke to her in Greek. Although I didn't understand a word, their body language gave most of it away. The rest Petro translated. He had her chuckling when he said your father would be proud. You made it two weeks before someone found you this time. It has become a family joke! Whenever Asimina's mother wouldn't allow her to travel with her father for one of his races, she would run away. Nathaniel Alexiou would encourage her behavior by saying, next time, double the time before they find you.

Both aunts push pasted Kon once they came out of their frozen states. They forced her to sit on the step in the living room entrance. Each aunt on either side of her, holding Asimina's hand they leaned on her shoulder and cried. Her uncle demanded to see the man that forced his niece to such lengths. I would never consent an outsider to take part in the torture of a Morelli prisoner in other circumstances. However, for the Alexiou uncle, I allowed it. Leaving the ladies with Asimina, I escorted him downstairs. The man wasted no time rolling up his sleeves and delivering punch after punch, covering Roberto's face with bruising.

His brother is no longer here. Kon Alexiou feels responsible for his nieces as he does for his children. His rage had him on the brink of insanity. The time we allowed him to have with Roberto barely satisfied. Maliciously, he requested that I end his life and anyone else that attempts harm to his nieces. I assured him their safety was our priority. Once all the statement kills are made known, the other small irreverent mafia families will recoil. It was past three in the morning before they headed home, eager to pack and travel with us tomorrow to Greece.

"Mama," I fall back on my pillow at the sound of Nathan's voice coming through the baby monitor. Picking up the device, I chuckle at the boy who's kneeling in his cot, pushing his face on the wooden rails. His bottom lip pouts, and he calls out to his mother again. He waits a few minutes; his eyes scan the room, and his ears peek, listening for any footsteps.

Those little brows pull together as he yells again, only this time he calls for me, "Dada,"

I refrain from bursting out into laughter. Asimina is right; he has my temper and is just as demanding. His mother and I are in for one hell of a ride. Turning off the monitor, I slide out of bed and throw on a pair of sweatpants. Exiting our room, I can hear Nathan continuing to yell out to his mother and me. Smiling, I open the door; the boy is quick to his feet. Extending his arms, he opens and closes his hands, gesturing me to pick him up.