Chapter 9 - The Notes, Secrets!

Asimina

"Hello, boys," I can't help the curling smile forming at their expressions. I swear they have stopped breathing, eyes widen, almost popping out of their heads, and each man is now rendered mute. Tommy stares: a twitch develops on the side of his eye from the lack of blinking.

The silence that has fallen is deafening. Sal being closet, I take three small steps towards the man. Those eyes of his widen more if that was even possible. His now dry mouth closes, and he swallows. "Hey, Sal, missed me?" I try to lighten the mood and bring them out of their shocked state. They didn't think I was capable of coming back from the dead.

Raising a hand, he pokes me on my shoulder with his index finger. My surprise at his reaction has a surge of laughter erupting from me. "Did you just poke me?"

"Um?" He closes his mouth again; his brows pull together. Not once does he look away; he's completely lost for words. Standing on my toes, I kiss him on the cheek. "I'm happy to see you too." The man finally blinks and glances back over my shoulder at Raffaele.

"What is this?" Mark questions, taking a reluctant step next to his brother.

"It's Asimina." Raffaele grins.

My smile widens as each man is rambling through their thoughts, trying to come up with an explanation as to how I'm alive. Bitting down on my lip, I hold back my laughter and attempt to hide my amusement. Although the situation and the events that have taken place are far from humorous, their stunned faces are.

"I see that!" Mark clears his throat, eyes dart from me to his cousin once more. Pointing at me, he asks again, "What is this?"

"Carlos, I think these boys could do with a drink," I state, remembering the Rodriguez brother's reaction.

Poor Carlos sat behind his desk for half an hour, sculling shot after shot, and simply gawked at me. José, on the other hand, sat in a corner chair, liquor bottle sealed to his lips, and every few minutes expressed his concern of dying painfully in the hands of Raffaele before they had the opportunity to lead him to me. The man was in tears, cursing me for bringing death to their door.

"Yeah," Carlos walks between the boys and me, "There is an explanation. Let's get some liquor into you, boys. You're going to need it. Trust me!"

The four men turn on their heels, eager to get something running down their dry throats. Carlos leads the way as they follow. Alex glances over his shoulder, mumbling, "Why is it always Mexico?"

José clasps his shoulder, darting his eyes towards me, "She needs to change it the fuck up! I agree."

Sweeping my eyes, I glance at Tommy, who hasn't moved a muscle, "I missed you, Gun." I utter. Despite his cheesiness and immaturity, I love him as a brother. I take a step closer and wrap my arms around his waist. Swallowing the lump in his throat, his eyes drift to Raffaele as he throws an arm over my shoulders, pulling me into his embrace. The Gun is rendered mute and doesn't speak a word. His rapidly rising chest and short breathes are enough to confirm he has missed me and is relieved to see me.

"How?" He finally questions.

"It's a long story," Raffaele comes and stands behind me. "One that we will fill you in on shortly. Let's get that drink."

"Did you know? Because that would have been an Oscar-winning performance by you." He teases to lighten the mood. It's an emotional reunion. I grew close to Tommy from the moment we started target training.

"Nope!" Raffaele responds, failing to hide the disapproval in his voice.

"Should have guessed," he sighs, "I'm relieved for your family, my brother, and of course, Nathan." He rubs his three-day stubble. That cheesy smile surfaces.