Chapter 32 - The Truth Hurts

Asimina

The moment that door closed behind him, I fell apart. I've already lost him, at least that's how it feels. My heart shattered into millions of little pieces, and I fell back into a dark abyss once again. I'm finding myself in the same situation as I was two years ago. Only this time, it's different Raffaele who stood before me, cold and expressionless. He gave me his reasons. This time I know why it's happening. This time it's my fault.

I crawled into bed an hour or so later. I struggled to pick myself up off the floor. My world is torn apart. Nat and Petro's word replayed over and over. Think before you act! Every situation isn't the same; your impulsivity will cost you dearly one day! I never listen.

Sal and Mark checked up on me throughout the night, left me food, and kept the bedroom door locked. I lay here still in the same clothes I wore yesterday, staring at the ceiling while tears continue to run. They haven't dried for a moment. My head is pounding; the horrific headache hasn't settled. Paracetamol is doing nothing to ease the pain. With every breath, whimpers continue to leave my lips. I have lost my voice from screaming into a pillow most of the night.

My bedroom door opens. I don't know what time it is. It doesn't even matter; my broken heart is confident we will not find him waiting at that altar. It screams at me constantly that we have lost him.

"Mina?" Nat's voice is gentle. Blinking the tears away, they run down the side of my face. She takes a seat on the bed next to me.

"Mina," she speaks again. Keeping my eyes close, I swallow the endless pain, and my agonizing cries begin once more. My sister lays next to me and throws her arms around me, placing her forehead to mine.

Forming words is difficult. I gasp for air several times before I barely stutter, "Y-you w-were r-right!"

Squeezing her hold on me. I open my eyes and look at Nat, her tears fall onto my pillow, "No, I wasn't. You survived through so much. You battled alone." Hearing despairing breath around me, I glance around at the others. Lia, Kat, and Jaz stand with slump shoulder faltering their eyes. Each of them crumbles at the sight of me. Wiping my tears, Nat encourages me to sit up. Pushing myself up drains my energy quickly, and a dizzy spell almost has me falling back.

"How are you feeling?" Kat mumbles and lowers her eyes again; she curses at the silly question she is asking. "I'm sorry, stupid question!"

"It's okay," I pull the covers over me. Although I'm clothed, and it's warm outside, I'm freezing. My body is trembling, and I can't stop the uncontrollable shake.

"We're here for you." Jaz takes a seat next to me. Taking hold of my hand, she gives it a comforting squeeze.

I veer my eyes, glancing at Petro. His expression remains stoic, and he gives nothing away.

"He..." I begin to say, but I've been flooded with heartbreak again, and I start to choke. They wait patiently for me to compose myself. "He gave me an ultimatum. I'm only to go to that church if I'm prepared to comply." Shaking my head, I advise them with a cracking voice. "He couldn't answer me when I asked him if I would find him at that altar."

Frustrated, I wipe my tears with the back of my hand and rub my head to ease the throbbing pain. Pouring some water into a glass, Petro walks over, handing me some pills. My features form with confusion. "They are safe. I wouldn't give you something that wasn't."

Meeting my cousin's eyes, I thank him. I need some pain relief; I can barely sit up then alone stand. My body feels so weak. My shattering heart wants to crawl back into bed and just lay here.

"Has he spoken to you, Petro?" Lia's voice cracks in anguish.

"No." Clearing his throat, he glances at me and continues, "before he left last night, all he said to me was to be here for you in the morning." Diving his hands into his pockets, he lowers his head, "Tommy called him when they caught the man responsible for the attack. He gave Tommy instructions to deliver him to a location and leave. He wanted no one around."