Chapter 25 - Milos

Asimina

We arrived at Milos a little over half an hour ago. Nathan was a little horror throughout the flight. Lucky for me, there were enough people to keep him entertained and give me a break. Those of us who have kids hired cars and the rest have decided to use motorbikes for the week. No doubt they will arrive at the hotel before us.

Carlos, Gloria, José, and Maria arrive tomorrow morning. That group has shown true loyalty, and I love them dearly. I chuckle to myself at how our friendship was formed.

"What's so funny?" Raffaele questions. His eyes don't veer from the road, but I have his full attention.

"How my friendships with the Mexicans came to be."

Snickering, he nods, "I think it's safe to say it's a first for Carlos and José as well."

"It's funny how some things are meant to be," I smile. Turning around, I glance at our son. Uncomfortably he's sleeping in the baby seat. His head falls forward, and dribble hangs off the side of his mouth.

"Are you happy?" Raffaele questions.

Cocking my head, I sweep my eyes and glance at him. Confused, I ask, "Why would you ask me that? What do you think?"

Sighing heavily, he's honest, "I was getting tired of seeing tears in your eyes. I don't want a life with me to just bring you torment."

My heart sinks to the bottom pits of my stomach. Facing forward, my body goes numb, and my breaths shallow. Is this his way of ending our relationship the day before our wedding? He's using the excuse that he doesn't want to bring me heartache! His lifestyle will have many of those moments. He's only thinking about this now? My heart starts to pound, violently thrashing in my chest, instantly, my eyes sting.

Raffaele kills the engine in front of the hotel and turns he faces me. "Asimina?"

Sealing my eyes shut, mustering a deep breath, I ask, "Is this your way of ending things? Using my emotional state as an excuse?" My vision is blurred from the tears as I hide behind my shades.

"What?" His voice deepens, removing his shades, he gawks back.

"You heard me! Are you ending things, Raffaele?"

"Where did you get that from? I'm asking you if you're happy."

"You said you don't want a life with you..."

Raising his hand, he cuts me off. Turning to face forward, throwing his head back on the headrest, he laughs. That chest of his vibrates, and he wakes up our son. "You took that as I want to end our relationship?" He doesn't wait for my answer and continues to laugh uncontrollably. My tears dry instantly, and I look at him flummoxed. Sucking in a breath, he settles himself and shakes off his amusement. His expression hardens as he turns back to face me. "I'm asking, Asimina, because I want to know if I'm finally getting it right!"

Repeatedly blinking, my jaw hangs open. "Huh?" I swallow and somewhat settle my erratic nerves.

"As of tomorrow, you will be my wife." Cupping my face, he makes his intention clear, "Even if you want a divorce and are begging me to let you go. It's not going to happen." Leaning closer to my lips, he ignores our son's babbling and emphasizes, "Our marriage isn't only until death, do us part. Baby, even in the afterlife, I'm dragging you to hell so you can sit on the throne next to me. Understood?"

Placing a dominant kiss on my lips, my worries start to dwindle. Breaking apart, he opens his door and steps out. Dumbfounded, I lean my head back on the headrest and let out a breath in relief. I know my fears stem back to that morning in the Malibu kitchen. Why can't I just let it go?