Chapter 29 - Another Chance

Raffaele

This morning I woke up with a feeling of satisfaction. The open sea surrounds us. Other than a limited amount of crew members, there is no one else around. Lying on a lounge chair, I soak up the sun. I needed to get away from everyone and spend the evening with Asimina. I may always have my Capos lingering during business, but that is where it ended. Since she came into my life, I have had more social gatherings with the group than I have ever had through the years they've worked for me. I'm not complaining. It has made the group closer and built unbreakable friendships. It's rare for the mafia to have so many trusted men.

I started to crave the distance, but a balance between the group is needed. We have had many late nights over the last few weeks, and adding to her exhaustion, last night, she spent the first couple of hours throwing up. The sway of the yacht had her becoming seasick quickly. When she finally settled, we were served dinner on the upper deck while the sun was setting. The romantic atmosphere wasn't planned. I'm not wired that way. For our engagement, it was Bianca and her sisters that planned it all. I ordered the roses, apparently too many.

"Mr. Morell," The captain greets. Standing stiff like a soldier as most men do under my payroll. Titling my head towards him, I nod sternly, motioning him to go on. "We are an hour out from the ports of Fiumicino," He advises.

Checking the time, it's still nine in the morning. We arrived earlier than I anticipated. "Drop anchor here for the next few hours. I'm not ready to see land."

Letting out a breath, I lean my head back on the lounge and order, "Chiedi all'equipaggio di organizzare la colazione - Ask the crew to organize breakfast."

"Si," He nods. Turning on his feet, he processed to command the others.

With Asimina still fast asleep, I pick up my phone, calling Mariano. I might as well have them update me on business. There are still many loose ends that need to be dealt with. Despite my wedding nuptials, business and traitors don't cease. I took an oath never to fail my family again.

"Raf," Mariano rasps, a little throaty.

"Is Matteo with you?" I question getting straight to the point.

"Yeah, you're on speaker. He can hear you."

"I'm all ears. Fill me in! What is the status of the Saint Mary's priest in Italy?"

I placed aside the hunt on the remaining three Saint Mary's priests when I was faced with one very alive Asimina. My priorities shifted, and I needed to deal with Roberto and Angela first to bring her home. Father Frances was the head of the institution, and his crucifixion shocked the remaining three corrupt priests.

I crave my victim's trepidation; the statement kills are meant to create panic. Those who have taken part need to quiver at the mention of my name. I want them looking over their shoulders, knowing their deaths are coming. Father Michael fled to Italy in hopes of escaping. However, you cannot outrun the devil who craves you dead.

"His movements have been locked in Tivoli. I am tracking him, and I will advise you if it changes," Matteo informs.

"Get ready, boys, after the wedding, I want to end Father Michael. We will be hunting," gritting my teeth, my anger escalates; my voice is exasperated.

Now that I am aware the Saint Mary's priest accepted a contract from the Di Vitto's against the Morelli's, my need to slaughter the remaining enhances rapidly. I'm barely controlling my rage. The mention of them evokes my memory, and images of Asimina shot come to mind.

Letting out an infuriated breath, I demand, "keep tracking the two back in the States. Upon our return, I want to finish this."

"I have a lock on those two. Our Mayor and Governor are working and have halted their movements. They can't leave California," he assures me.