Chapter 34 - My Sweetheart

Raffaele

My arms wrapped around her. Lips grazing, I ask once more, "Are you going to marry me again?"

Her erratic heart is still trying to settle, and her breaths slowly become more even. My fears and my tormenting thoughts combined made me lose sight of what was important. Resting her forehead on my chest, she tilts her head, glancing at Petro. He smiles. "I need to fix my face," she places her palm on my chest and peels herself away. Those brilliant green eyes flicker up to meet mine.

"Make a call," I order, still fixated on Asimina.

There is no need to give him further instructions. Petro blows a breath in relief and glues his phone to his ear, "Tommy, gather Nat, Kat, Lia, and Jaz and get them outside."

Deviating her eyes, Asimina leans against the car, holding the bust of her dress in place. She's exhausted! I hate seeing her this way, and I'm very well aware I was the cause. However, if I'm honest, I was genuinely questioning whether keeping her in my world was the right decision. I don't live a vanilla life; there is always something or someone lurking. The last few months have been a roller coaster. No man wants to hold his woman while she bleeds out and watches the life fade from her face. I've had to do that twice. When she and Stefano were attacked out on the street, she had a knife wound on her stomach. Passing out in my arms, she went into cardiac arrest. Then there was the night of the Red Rose Ball.

"I'm sorry," I mumble. Whole-heartedly I say those words. I never apologies, yet I have found myself doing so with her. In the past, I have even begged.

Sighing, her features distorted. That lip of hers quivers once more, but she manages to fight back the tears this time, "I understand."

I encourage and help her sit in the limo. Crouching between her legs and the open door, I block out the noise around me from the cars traveling and the pedestrians' loud whispers. It's just her and I. "The women handle the hotels. It's the safest aspect of our business."

Shaking her head, she interjects, "You don't need to explain," she doesn't falter her pleading eyes. I know she tried, but I need to say these things to her.

"I do!" My voice, firm. I don't want her just doing as she's told. I love her fire, and I don't want her to lose that. I don't want her to settle in order to be with me. I need her to understand and agree. See my perspective. Squeezing her hand, I continue, "The easiest way to weaken a man and bring down an empire is to destroy what he loves. The Capos, assassins, and guards are highly qualified. They have years of training under their belts. Each one of those men knows what their role is. What position to take and how to execute."

"Everyone has spoken to me already." Pursing her lip, her hands begin to get sweaty. She's nervous, anxious, and still apprehensive.

"Forget what everyone else has said to you. Their words don't matter. It's between you and me." Cupping her face, I won't allow for anything less than her complete attention. Her breathing shallows: the raw emotion she has always displayed surfaces. It's suffocating! "You have no idea what you have come to mean to me. It's immense!"

Bitting down on her lip and wiping her mascara-coated tears, she remains focused. Even with running makeup, she's breathtaking. "It's a man's world. It's all about the power the most vicious play in this playground. You only need to fight when I'm not there and until I get there. When I'm lurking, follow orders."

Letting out a defeated breath, her shoulders slump. Gripping my wrist, she utters, "Petro said those same words."

"Petro is a smart man. Bianca was raised in all of this, and he still wants her to stand down. Bianca is his weakness. He loves her."