Chapter 36 - Brotherly Bonding

Raffaele

Lost in thought, I focus my attention outside, looking blankly as we pass buildings and landscapes. This trip hasn't gone as planned. Our wedding started badly, I managed to turn it around at the reception, but the events prior left a bad taste. Regardless of how pissed I was with her actions, once I settled, and after both my brothers had words with me, one thing was evident, there was no way I could ever walk away from that woman. I know what it feels like to be parted from her. That constant pain in my chest is horrific. My world becomes colorless, and everything is miserable.

One taste of Asimina is all it took for me to fall, she is my addiction, and I suffer withdrawals when we aren't together. That taste of her lingers for hours after. Not even something as potent as bourbon can kill her sweetness from my mouth. No drug can stop the tingle on my lips that she leaves behind. I stayed in my car when I should have been at the altar, waiting. My doubts weren't justified. Deep down, I knew she was going to come. Honestly, I was fucked up, scared. I hate the feeling; it only surfaces with Asimina. Sure, events in the past have me feeling more fearful now, but I handle it all wrong.

I don't want her running any parts of the mafia for apparent reasons, and it's non-negotiable. She, just like my mother and my grandmother before her, run the family. The events, the hotels. It infuriated me when she questioned Mariano and Matteo, and they hesitated to respond. I don't want her in the firing line, but I want her to be across everything.

Wavered from my thoughts by my vibrating phone, I reach into my suit jacket. A text from Asimina has a smile curling on my lips. "I just arrived at the hospital. Carlos is only now coming out of surgery. It went well. I will keep you posted."

Her vague response indicates she's eager to focus on her friend. I understand it; a friendship grew between the two within a few days of knowing each other.

I quickly text her back, throwing in a few hearts, and kissing emojis. "Okay! Love you."

"Why are you grinning like that?" Stefano questions while keeping his focus on the road as he's driving.

"I'm still completely baffled how that woman managed to build such a strong friendship with Carlos after everything she did." Locking my phone, I slide it back into my pocket.

"Why is it so hard to believe?" Stefano chuckles, "she's caring and honest. Maybe a little scary at times."

Nodding, I acknowledge, "she has a vicious side. I know she can protect herself and get to safety with our kids. That gives me comfort." I'm honest.

"Good! I will quote Asimina here," He takes a deep breath, "I'm training all the women in how to pull together a half-assed plan and how to successfully and sneakily drug a man."

Erupting with laughter, my chest vibrates. Only Asimina! I'm positive my Capos will be thrilled! "I'm glad she's keeping busy,"

Stefano's smile fades; he takes a serious approach with me. "I'm happy the two of you worked things out. She never stopped loving you, not even after you left her the way you did."

For the first time, Stefano gives me an insight into that year and a half. He has never wanted to betray Asimina's trust, and I respected that. He finally feels as if he can speak to me. I stay quiet but give him my full attention.

"She would choke on the words," I tilt my head towards him and wait, "she struggled to say that she hated you and her family. She lost all hope."

"If I had known," evicting the lump in my throat. The topic is constant knives slamming into my chest. I hate myself images of her fainting in that kitchen replay the words, what did I do? Echo in my head. I regret it a million times over. I fucking hate myself. The very detailed journal of Nathan's birth and the video and photos at the hospital become my destruction.