Chapter 11 - Open Fire

Asimina

Opening my eyes, I wake from my slumber. My back starts to ache, and I whimper softly from the pain. The hard floor of the truck trailer is dreadful to sleep on. I'm physically and mentally exhausted and looking forward to the moment this all ends. I'm under no illusion that this will be the final threat, but the Agosti's, Di Vitto, and from whispers, I've heard one other mob family take podiums directly under the Morelli's.

With their elimination, the other petty gangs are not a match, and hopeful we will get some peace and security after all this. It will take years for other families to compare to the Morelli structure. Sitting up, I look behind me as Tommy lets out a snore. How is he comfortable? My back and now neck are sore. I pull out an energy drink from the cooler since coffee isn't an option. Tommy and I sat side by side, talking for a couple of hours before falling asleep.

Furious at the situation doesn't begin to explain how he feels. He's impatiently waiting for the moment he can make an example out of the two assassins. As for Roberto, each one of the Morelli's wants a piece of him. I haven't been able to stabilize any of my emotions. God, I'm angry with everything. Even the events between Raffaele and Angela still have me fuming.

I'm still undecided about how I will end that slut. She thought she could kill me, take Raffaele, and eventually end my son's life. All this for a fantasy, to bring a child into this world with Raffaele and inheriting the Morelli and Di Vitto empires.

What a delusional bitch! She will be riding something, but it won't be my Stallion!

Taking another sip of my energy drink, I rest the can between my thighs and attempt to self-massage my neck. I finally had insight into what it was like for everyone through that year and a half. Tommy was honest and open. He didn't hold back on any of the details.

Lia fell into depression, and that pains me to no end. Just like our mother, Lia has always been soft, loving, and compassionate. She would cease each day with a smile and not a frown. To know how broken she was is heart-wrenching. I regret the words I threw at her the night of Nat's wedding. However, I didn't know any better, and they broke me.

Matteo stayed by her side, pushed through the hate she threw his way. Mia also spent a lot of time with her, using Evie to help distract Lia. She has always loved kids. With photography her hobby, Lia spent hours torturing the poor baby into different outfits and taking bundles of pictures.

Nat kept to herself mostly, and along with Antonio, she worked with her forensic contacts to identify the man who wrote the note. She wanted to take part in ending him and gaining control of the situation. Her goal was to bring me home.

According to Tommy, it was the first time they saw Petro so broken, other than the day he watched the live stream. My cousin never cries, his eyes might redden, but he won't allow tears to fall. I have only ever seen him tear at his father's funeral, and on the day, Nathan was revealed. Even with my rape and loss, he kept a strong front. Apparently, the whole drive to my house, tears were streaming. He regretted it instantly. He struggled that year and a half.

The same night I unleashed on Lia, my words to him were knives to his chest as I spat them venomously. I remember his words to me just before I delivered that slap to his face in that Malibu kitchen. "I have always done what is best for you. It is no different this time."

Now knowing the time apart was difficult for them, in a way comforted me greatly, but then I felt shame. My family's pain shouldn't bring me comfort. However, I suffered too; it was a dark time for me. The loss of Raffaele killed me. I felt as if I was buried alive and slowly dying. Every time I looked at my son, I would shatter. I couldn't understand it, spending hours every day trying to figure out what I did, what went wrong.