Chapter 41 - Dance With The Devil

Raffaele

I prepared myself as we were landing to deal with Asimina's wrath. My intention to bring an end to the priest the moment we landed wasn't construed well. I certainly understand her worry and her little tantrum, although amusing, was heart-warming. My men stood back, leaned against the Morelli fleet waiting for me to settle my wife. My smile lingers at the thought of my woman. She is something else!

"I've been your wife for just over a week, and in that time, Raffaele, you made me the happiest I have ever been, only to shatter my heart later. Two days ago, you almost died. If you go for those priests tonight instead of coming home with me, I will divorce you!" She emphasized.

I love her fire! Mostly I love how easily she gives in to me. Pinning her roughly against the car had her melting. Mariano and Matteo escorted Asimina and our son safely back to the property before joining us. I want nothing more than to be at home with my family, but this needs to be dealt with. Those priests must die tonight.

"Is Mina on your mind? Brother," Tommy muses.

"Who else would be?" I respond.

Shifting in the passenger seat, I slouch further into it. The pain in my chest has subsided, a tingling sensation remains. I've learned to tolerate the pain and keep going. Unlocking my phone, I flick through the endless pictures of Asimina. I'm dependent on her for serenity. I start a video of her first night home with Nathan. She lays him on her bed and holds the phone, recoding his little yawns. "Hi, sweetness," she kisses his cheek. "I'm going, to be honest with you. I have no idea what I'm doing."

From this angle, her profile is visible. She lays down next to him, lifting the phone; she looks into it and continues to speak to our son. "I promise I will try my hardest to be a good mother to you. The last thing I want is to make a mistake."

Sighing, she turns her head, glancing at our son. "I'm sorry, baby. When you're older, I will show you this video. I can only hope you won't see me differently. It's my fault; no one is here. I didn't fight hard enough, and I lost your brother. I'm ashamed." She drops her phone; I can now only see the ceiling; her shaky voice breaks me. "I don't deserve you, but I will fight since I have been blessed with you. I will make you proud of me."

I hit pause on the video. These clips are incredibly difficult to watch. The agony in her voice alone cripples me.

"You keep watching those videos," Stefano makes a point of saying. What he wants to know is why?

"I need a reminder of what a single mistake caused her. How much I hurt her and how much I lost," I answer the question in his head truthfully.

"She has come a long way since then." Reminding me, he was a witness to it all.

"She has. I agree, but it doesn't change the facts," sliding my phone back into my pocket, I turn my body around to look at my brother. "I never thanked you or Jaz for the support you both gave her."

"Mina became family. Even before all of this," rubbing his eyes, he says, "let's not forget what she has done for me."

Nodding, I open my door, stepping out of the car. It's been a long couple of days; I'm keen to end this. Straitening myself up, I walk towards the property. Not many priests can afford a mansion. The security system was easy enough to hack. My boys sent the surveillance into a loop. Father Santino has no idea the devil stands at his doorstep.

Signaling my boys, they effortlessly unlock the front door. Half follow me, and the rest make their entrance from the rear door. Fiendishly smiling, I walk through the hallway. Not one religious symbol decorates the interior.