Chapter 40 - To His Feet He Stands

Asimina

I was too scared to fall asleep. Worried that if I were to close my eyes and wake the next morning, this would all be a dream. We stayed in bed, our foreheads touching, for half an hour. He slowly started regaining strength. "I love you" were his first words to me. Holding me close, he craved that intimacy. I needed it just as much as he.

He's exceptionally furious at the events that took place and even more determined to end the last two priests. It was incredibly difficult to persuade him to stay in bed after his medical tests came back clear. I was forced to result in threats, and although he laughed at my performance, he complied the moment my tears surfaced.

Listening to his heavy breathing, I'm content. Those strangling fears have gone; I have my husband back, fiercer than before. Rolling out of bed, I throw on one of Raffaele's t-shirts and walk to the bathroom. These Morelli hospital rooms may be styled and sized as a hotel suite, but they're still a hospital room. The reasons we find ourselves in these four walls are despairing, and I hate spending my days and nights here. Throwing cold water on my face, I feel refreshed. I want nothing more than to go home, prepare for our new arrival, and settle down. What I don't want is to compromise Raffaele's recovery. Softly walking out of the bathroom, I try not to wake him. Noticing the container of food, I head over to the table and pop the lid. In the last couple of days, food hasn't crossed my mind. Anxiety and overwhelming heartbreak consumed me, and to be fair, I didn't have an appetite. Grabbing a fork, I take a seat on the chair at the far end of the room. Chicken and mushroom risotto for breakfast; it could be worse! Forking some risotto, bringing it to my mouth, I shiver slightly. The texture has me cringing. It's terrible cold, but I'm hungry, and I need to take my pills.

Reaching into my bag, I pull out the three supplements. The two aren't bad, but the iron tablet is revolting. Cringing, I slide them into my mouth and quickly wash them down with water. It's the only part of the pregnancy I hate, and the blood test, of course.

Rubbing my hand over my belly, my curiosity piques. Will this be a boy or a girl? I don't have a preference; I just want a healthy child, but the thoughts of a little girl with a tutu in Raffaele's arms are sweet. I start to think, who will this little being look like? I'm two months into the pregnancy, and before I know it, that squeaky cry will be waking us in the middle of the night. My thoughts have a smile tugging on my lips. The family I started to hope for after falling in love with Raffaele is here, and I'm embracing it wholeheartedly.

"You're beautiful," Raffaele's deep seductive voice has my smile widening. Biting my lip, I glance at the man lying on his side. Those dark, dangerous, and intimidating orbs have me feeling naked. Standing to my feet, I make my way over to the bed and crawl under the covers. He throws his arm around me and places a gentle kiss on my lips.

"How are you feeling?" I gently run my fingers over his bandage wounds.

"Like my old self," his devilish smirk never fails to ignite those flutters in my stomach.

"Don't ever do that to me again!" My features morph sharply. Pointing a finger to his face, I make known, "I was worried to death. I was engulfed with anxiety and heartbreak."

Lifting his head, he studies me for a moment. He's a master of deception, and his expression remains stoic. "You're really sexy when you are mad and demanding."

My attempts to hold a straight face are a fail, and I grace at him with a giggle. Leaning on his elbow, he towers over me. "I'm a man that doesn't make the same mistake twice, Sweetheart." Cupping my face, he speaks truthfully, "I cut corners. Normally there would be Morelli suits scanning, scoping the area. Assassins on rooftops with our newest sniper rifles. It gives them a view and the ability to take a hit on a target, up to two miles away." My features pull together in distress. "I know what you're thinking, Asimina. I was careless, and you're right. I wanted to deal with Emilio quickly and come find you at the hospital." Leaning down, he grazes my lips with his, "I fucked up! I promise you I will not make the same mistake twice," He assures me.