Chapter 13 - The Proposal

Raffaele

I struggled to sleep last night. Even the thoughts of Asimina weren't enough to settle me. I think back to before she was in my life. I believed I had it good then. I didn't realize what I was missing. This is every man's worst nightmare falling for a woman, the idea of love. That someone has so much control and power over you, consuming all your thoughts.

I'm anything but weak, not physically, mentally, or socially. Yet I'm vulnerable to her, surrendering completely. It's not uncommon for women to express these feelings. It's an odd thing for most men and even more bizarre for me. I can't sleep if she's not next to me.

I lift myself on the pull-up bar once more before jumping off. The burn in my muscles has me groaning in pain. Shaking it off, I take a few quick steps and stand in front of the mirror. Picking up the dumbbells, I start to pump my biceps.

A smile surfaces as I picture Asimina's sweeping eyes and drool running down the side of her mouth. I love her reactions, those flaring cheeks, and lustful eyes. It excites me.

I push through the excessive burn in my biceps. I need to weaken myself enough to get through this meeting with Roberto without killing the cunt. I let my thoughts drift back to Asimina, and I wonder if she likes the house in Santa Barbara. Everyone did their part in turning that house into a home for her. The theatre room is decked out with recliner chairs, framed pictures autographed by the actors from her favorite films, Rocky, The Godfather, and many more. Tommy, along with Petro, Mark, and Sal, ran to different actions sourcing the signed Hollywood posters. They cost a small fortune. I surprise myself with the things I'm willing to do to earn a gold star.

My family is currently scattered, and I hate it. My son is with my parents, Asimina is at our house. I'm here at one of the Morelli properties. Soon we will all be under the same roof, and I will never allow anyone to tear us apart.

The intense workout has my muscle aching beyond a tolerable level from the lactic acid build-up. Dropping the dumbbells, I finish my time in the gym with stretches, getting ready for a quick cold shower. When I first met Asimina, the sexual tension was suffocating between us, and for once, I looked forward and desired those freezing showers.

I check the time as I make my way back to my room. I have an hour before the meeting with Roberto. I need to contain myself, which is easier said than done. Vivid images of slicing him up the abdomen keep appearing. My parents will be present at this meeting. I'm half expecting my mother to slap me. My father will be furious, but this needs to be done.

Turning on the cold water, I stand underneath, the burning in my muscles subsides quickly, and cold shivers take over. Washing off the sweat, I close the water and grab a towel. Drying myself off, I head to the walk-in and throw on a shirt and pants. I need to be strategic; it's not only Roberto that needs to die. It's the Di Vitto mob's entire inner cycle. Sliding on my shoes, I head down to my office. Taking a shower and getting dressed is a quick task when Asimina is not around. Walking into my office, the Capos and my parents are all seated. Nathan's little green eyes shine when he sees me. Squirming out of my mother's arms. He takes hurried steps. He has the hang of walking now.

Picking him up, he nuzzles his face into my neck as I squeeze my arms around him. He is the most extortionary gift I have ever received. Placing a kiss on his head, I walk over to my chair and take a seat with him.

Ignoring everyone, I talk to my son, "Hey, little man. Missed me?"

I never get tired of hearing his baby babble. However, today becomes special as he blurts out, "Dada."

Who would have thought my malicious heart could melt. Excitement at hearing him talk has a wide smile on my face, which grimaces instantly because his mother cannot share this moment. Placing a kiss on his cheek, I close my eyes and swallow down my anger, reminding myself a few more days, and the three of us will be together.