Chapter 35 - My Beast, My Demon

Asimina

Four hours into our wedding, and I'm exhausted. I managed to settle my frenzy state. However, it also left me drained of any energy. The moment I watch Petro come out of the church, my world crumbled. I couldn't breathe; no air was making it to my lungs. It didn't matter how much I tried to keep myself composed; I felt as if I was fading away. I was completely flooded with the memories of when he left me two years ago. The pain in my chest was horrific. I wanted to scream, but the lack of oxygen wouldn't allow for it. I knew it was my own doing this time. He is the Don, the Godfather, whatever the title is. He has trained since he was ten. Hence knows the enemies, and he knows the right moves. I want to stand alongside that man, but if I'm honest, I don't want to run the mafia. This cruel and brutal world is male-dominated. I felt the need to make a statement and show them all I'm not weak.

I understand the need to protect your woman and child. In Greece, it's compulsory for every male to attend the army and gain those skills to do just that. I risked losing a child, and I didn't need to fight. My man was there! My Beast, my Demon, was there! I have always been independent, that surrendering part of myself to him is daunting. I was scared I would lose my independence. It has taken me this long to understand following his lead doesn't make me less. It makes me so much more. I'm still strong, brave, and bold. I promised him the moment we had reunited that I would give myself. I would surrender to him, and I hadn't. My fear of being left broken wouldn't allow me to drop my guard. Raffaele, on the other hand, has fulfilled each one of his promises.

By the time Raffaele showed himself, my vision had become blurred, and I was a mess. I kept shattering into millions of pieces. The way he wrapped his arms around me, I knew it was him. Slowly all those shattered pieces of my heart started sticking back together, like magnets at a rapid pace. I could finally breathe again. My heart was settling, and the pain in my chest subsided. If we had ended dismally, I would have gone on for our kids. Raffaele has become such a large part of me that half my heart and soul would have been torn. What I feel for him is not just love. I lust for him, and I crave him. My heart still beats with excitement. Butterflies still flutter in my stomach; his touch always makes me feverish.

I was in disbelief as I sat in that little room at the Cathedral. We were going through with the wedding, and the relief that washed over me had me weak. Watching him walk through that door to hand me my bouquet was emotional. I fought back another surge of tears. What calmed me down the most was those fingers running up leg fitting on my garter. It was romantic.

The ceremony was quick, the priest seemed to be in a hurry, and the guests were silent. The intricacy of the Cathedral carvings was beautiful, the Italian experience vibrant throughout. I realized my self-taught Italian is poor. I struggle to understand most of what the priest said. I will need to make more of an effort to become fluent.

"What are you thinking?" Raffaele sitting next to me in the car sounds concerned.

"That my Italian is poor. I couldn't understand what the priest was saying," I smile meekly and shrug my shoulders, putting him at ease.

"Asimina," exhaling my name, it flows smoothly from his lips. "I know today hasn't gone as planned," He pauses; worry lines form on his forehead as he fumbles for words.

"It's okay," I mumble.

"It's not," he snaps back.

I divert my attention to my rings and start spinning them around. The truth is, I want to let everything go. I don't want to dwell on the events of the last two days. Raffaele and I have been through so much together. Couples would normally crumble, yet here we are, together. Although we were already married in Greece, the Italian wedding means just as much to me. I'm desperate to turn the night around.