Chapter 3 - Forgive Me, Father, For I'm About To Sin

Raffaele

Another night passed in the same way as the night before that. All I'm doing is functioning. Having left Nathan in the kitchen with others, I sit in my office, looking through a window, hoping the pounding in my head will stop. Asimina's absence is palpable. Just like a couple of years ago, everything has lost color and has become dismal.

Once again, I'm not the only one suffering. Lia has increased the dosage of her antidepressants. Matteo and Nat are struggling to get her out of bed than alone the house. The only person she will make an effort for is Nathan. It's crazy to think a one-year-old boy is keeping so many adults together, giving them comfort. Although he hasn't stopped asking for his mother, he at least finds some solace in me. To get him to sleep longer than four hours a night, I take him into my bed.

The door creeps open. Taking a sip from my coffee, I continue to glance outside. The cloud cover is gone, and the sun is starting to sweep through. The world keeps turning, yet I remain stagnant. I'm struggling to move on.

"Raffaele," My mother's voice has me spinning my chair around. She has chosen to wear black mourning Asimina along with the rest of the ladies for forty days. "Your father and I are going to the hospital to visit your brother and Jasmine."

My father pulls the chair out for her, and they both take seats in front of my desk. "We want to take Nathan to visit his cousin."

"Sure," I respond and divert my eyes back down to my coffee, "I'm sure Jaz and Stefano are eager to see him."

"They are." She smiles meekly. "How are you?" She asks cautiously with a soft tone.

Exhaling slowly, I rub my face, "I'm getting sick of people asking how I am?"

My parents' glance between themselves before turning their attention back to me. "If you need anything, just ask." My mother offers.

Sighing, I lean my arms on the desk, "Actually, I may need you to take Nathan for a week or so."

Her brows pull together in distress. Leaning forward, she swallows the lump in her throat. Even my parents are unsure of how to approach me. "You know your father, and I love caring for Nathan, but what is the reason?"

"I plan on taking a trip. Asimina is sending me down memory lane." Flicking the chest open, I hand my mother the letters.

Taking the ribbon off, she straightens the pages. A smile curls as she reads. Letting out a shaky breath, she nods, wiping a few traitors' tears. "This is beautiful, and so Asimina. It may help you heal."

My father acknowledges with a stern nod. For a man that always had the answers and has provided me with direction throughout life, he hasn't said more than a few words. "I will never forget her," I emphasize. I hate how they all think after this trip I'm just meant to forget and just get over it. A piece of me died with her; the emptiness won't go.

"That's not what your mother meant, son." Pinching the bridge of his nose, he rewords the message they both are trying to get across, "It may help you to accept and divert your focus elsewhere." My eyes catch the black armband my father is wearing.

Letting out a breath, I fall back into my chair, confirming, "Where Nathan is concerned, I can count on you both then?!" It's more of a statement than a question.

Standing from his seat, my father buttons up his suit jacket and agrees, "We are heading off. Call me and give me the outcome of your confession."

Extending his hand to my mother, he helps her up and walks her towards the door. Just when I think I will have a moment of peace, Tommy walks through, greeting our parents. He holds the door open for them.