Prologue

I chewed my gum steadily as I walked slowly up the aisle in the liquor store, my eyes on the headphones that I probably couldn't afford. But I wanted it and what I wanted... I got.

So, I looked up at the owner who was already eyeing me, then I looked over at my younger brother. He gave me a slight nod before walking to the counter and starting a conversation with the owner. During that time, I snatched the box off of the shelf and shoved it into my backpack, adding some hot Cheetos for my brothers good services.

Once I was done, I started over to the counter with a watermelon Arizona. "Yo, how much?" I asked, sitting it on the counter top.

He looked at me harshly before spitting out. "One fifty." I nodded and pulled out a dollar and some change before handing it to him, then grabbing the Arizona and starting out.

"Hey, whats in the bag?" I heard and on that note, I quickly ducked out of the store and started hauling ass down the street. "Come back!"

I wasn't worried about my brother since he knew the route opposite me, he wasn't a dummy.

After a good five minutes of ducking and weaving through my city, I landed in an alleyway where he was waiting. "Took you long enough." He said with a chuckle.

"Shut up, Kai." I pulled his chips out and tossed them to him before we both started the walk home. "So, Maru and I got a party tonight." I said, spitting out my gum before tossing a chip into my mouth. "It's at Paulo's house, suppose to be lit."

"Shit can I come?" I gave him a look and he smacked his lips. "Come on, I can sneak past ma."

"I'm sure your ass can." I shoved him playfully before looking over my shoulder when I heard a whistle. An older man, someone we knew well, waved at us and we both stopped as he caught up to us. "What's up Tre." He gave us both a bro hug before crossing his arms with a smirk.

"Sup youngins, where y'all headed this late?"

"Back home, we just left the store." He gave me a look and I chuckled. "I'm for real, Tre."

"Yeah, those chips look a little dirty, y'all better be staying out of trouble." He looked at my brother and shook his head. "Tuck that rag in, boy."

"Man Tre, I'm reppin' my shit." I snorted and pushed Kai's blue rag down his pocket before he got his ass bodied by an OG. "What? You act like you don't ride."

"I do nigga, but I also listen to my elders." I said and slapped the back of his head.

Tre shook his head before giving us both a dap. "Y'all be safe man, the streets ain't safe."

"Alright cuh." Kai said and I pushed his young ass forward, starting back down the alley to our house. "Okay but for real, can I come to the party?"

"Yeah but you better not make me look bad."

After the rest of the walk, we made it to our pale pink house where my big brother stood, pacing the stoop. Once he saw us, he let out a breath of air before rushing down. "Do you know how many times I called you both?!" He exclaimed, slapping both our heads.

"Aye man." I winced and rubbed the area he hit. "What's up? It's only nine."

"Yeah and the party starts at ten."

I waved my hand and walked into our house, the smell of chicken wafting into my nose suddenly. "Mama I love you!" I called out loudly, rounding into the kitchen where she was with a phone to her ear, a spatula in the other. I pressed a quick kiss to her cheek before leaning back against the counter. "You got some for me?"